What's new
What's new

Looking For A New Bandsaw Blade Source

projectnut

Stainless
I have an older Rockwell vertical bandsaw that can use either 1/4" or 3/8" blades. They're an odd length at 71 3/4". In the past I've been able to source 10-14 tpi bimetal blades from Ellis Saw in Verona WI. Yesterday when I gave them a call to make an order, I was informed they no longer were able to source 3/8" blade material.

I've done a search on the internet, but so far nothing has popped up other than some ridiculous listings on Amazon with prices in the $235.00 range. My last order from Ellis the 1/4" blades cost about $23.00 and the 3/8" ones were in the $28.00 range. Prices may have gone up a bit since then, but I can't believe anyone is paying over $200.00 for a blade less than 6' long.

If anyone could point me to a source for these blades, I would appreciate it.

Swift saw tool and supply, Harvey Illinois. I get all of my blades from them as they're the best prices I can find, and they ship fast!

I have an older Rockwell vertical bandsaw that can use either 1/4" or 3/8" blades. They're an odd length at 71 3/4". In the past I've been able to source 10-14 tpi bimetal blades from Ellis Saw in Verona WI. Yesterday when I gave them a call to make an order, I was informed they no longer were able to source 3/8" blade material.

I've done a search on the internet, but so far nothing has popped up other than some ridiculous listings on Amazon with prices in the $235.00 range. My last order from Ellis the 1/4" blades cost about $23.00 and the 3/8" ones were in the $28.00 range. Prices may have gone up a bit since then, but I can't believe anyone is paying over $200.00 for a blade less than 6' long.

If anyone could point me to a source for these blades, I would appreciate it.

Hello Projectnut, my name is Chris with LA Cutting Products, we are a family owned business and we offer a wide range of 3/8" materials. including the 71 3/4" x 3/8" x .025 x 10/14 and is $22.90 with free shipping. We make every blade to order here and our matirials are German and USA only. We also gurentee our welds 100% Here is a link to the blade you are looking for. 71 3/4" x 3/8" x .025
Hope this helps let me know if you have any qwuestions

Thanks
Chris

I have a bunch of NOS 3/8” carbon steel coil stock I don’t remember the TPI but its very fine. I silver braze my own blades all the time. I would let some rolls go reasonable.

I've been getting Lenox blades from Grainger, I could maybe find them cheaper elsewhere but they're fast and convenient.

Their Diemaster 2 in 6/10 is great for all kinds of materials including Ti.

Swift saw tool and supply, Harvey Illinois. I get all of my blades from them as they're the best prices I can find, and they ship fast!

Gave Swift Saw a call this morning. Apparently, they do not make up blades themselves. They have a local weld shop do it to specifications given by the customer. In this case they're not sure they can get .025" blade material. They can get ,035 material, but I'm afraid it might be too thick for the 10" diameter wheels. It came with .025" blades when I bought it new in the 1970's, and I've never tried anything different. They're currently researching whether or not the thinner material is available. I'll have more information when they give me a return call this afternoon.

I hate to give up on the machine since it's in like new condition. The machine has been sitting in a corner and barely been used over the years. I just thought it was time for it to be productive again. Maybe it's just a dinosaur, and it's time to move on to a more substantial machine.

Any saw blade company that doesn't weld their own blades ain't much of a company. I mean...they'd have to invest in a blade welder which costs less than a 10 year old used Camry.

I hate to give up on the machine since it's in like new condition. The machine has been sitting in a corner and barely been used over the years. I just thought it was time for it to be productive again. Maybe it's just a dinosaur, and it's time to move on to a more substantial machine.
Why the doom n gloom when LA Cutting Products indicated they have the blade you want in the correct thickness? For $23 with free shipping I'd give them a try before giving up on an otherwise good saw.

How close are you to the Illinois border? You could try CTC corp. in Rockford IL, that is where I have gotten most of my blades from. Havent been there for a couple of years though. They will custom weld any size for you. Impressive coil stock inventory. They sell saws too. Prices are reasonable. If you go pick them up make sure you get directions into the building they are in. Sketchy neighborhood and old building in south Rockford. Have to go around back and past the piles of junk and old cars. Have fun!

Hello Projectnut, my name is Chris with LA Cutting Products, we are a family owned business and we offer a wide range of 3/8" materials. including the 71 3/4" x 3/8" x .025 x 10/14 and is $22.90 with free shipping. We make every blade to order here and our matirials are German and USA only. We also gurentee our welds 100% Here is a link to the blade you are looking for. 71 3/4" x 3/8" x .025
Hope this helps let me know if you have any qwuestions

Thanks
Chris

I use LA cutting products, there blades have been Simmons so far and have worked great. Welds look terrific. and the price is good.

I got a call back from Swift saw late yesterday afternoon. For test purposes I did buy a couple 10- 14tpi blades. If they work out well, I'll consider buying some from LA Cutting Products. I've always used bimetal blades (Ellis refers to them as GP or General-Purpose blades) on the other saws, but in this case, everyone seems to be advertising M42. I've never heard of this designation before, but it seems M42 is a version of a bimetal blade.

I'll be back in town next week and hopefully finish reassembling the saw and giving the new blades a try.

I stopped by LA Cutting on Thursday and talked to Chris and bought a 5-pack of blades for my portable bandsaw and 3 for my horizontal. The stock was Simmons manufactured in Germany. I've been using his blades for a while now. Never broke a weld (guaranteed) and I like how fast and durable they are. Got out of there for 70 bucks.

Denis

Back