What's new
What's new

Looking for a shop to machine a new tractor PTO shaft

lpr75

Plastic
I need a new PTO shaft and associated part machined to replace a broken one for a tractor; new ones are no longer made for this make and model. I took it to a local shop (central MD) and they said they couldn't do it because it's hardened. Looking around online (I'm not a machinist/metallurgist) I see that steel can be hardened after machining, and that this piece isn't hardened all the way through but just on the surface, given its use. Can someone point me in the right direction, either to a shop in MD/VA/PA area, and what to say over the phone to ask if they can handle this job?

Luckily I have a friend who is a mechanical engineering PhD who runs a university fabrication lab and could possibly design the piece in CAD for me, which I'm sure would cut costs minus all the beer I would buy him.

Photos here, it's under 10" long and 2" in diameter. The lip which keeps the circlip on sheared off (second photo).
PTO Shaft - Album on Imgur

Luckily I have a friend who is a mechanical engineering PhD who runs a university fabrication lab and could possibly design the piece in CAD for me, which I'm sure would cut costs minus all the beer I would buy him.
You would be much more money ahead if you paid a professional to draw that part.....Just sayin'.

FWIW that looks allot like the PTO shaft on my Ford 7610, they are very common on Ebay.
PTO Output Shaft - 540 rpm fits New Holland fits Ford 5610 6610 6610 7610 7610 | eBay

If you take a good look, you might be able to buy one of them and rework a fit or 2 with a grinder.

Have you called Mayer Agco they are up around Washington court house Ohio . They have a lot sitting around and I’m guessing have a lot of contacts .

those are super common around here and easy to find. just a standard 540/1080 flip shaft held in by a circlip.
plus why does it need to be fixed for the tiny chip on the end? id just run it.

The full range of opinions and pitches that are PM, all within one page :D

Don't know exactly what that circlip holds on, but perhaps there's a different way of holding it on. Grind/turn to size, shaft clamp?

Agree that repair will be less expensive than full-bore custom replacement.

Have you searched tractor salvage yards? There's a ton of them....

Back