What's new
What's new

Looking for advice on a new CNC mill for arts/prototype work in shared shop space

Firstly any FEA is only as good as the operator, secondly I've run Solidworks and it's FEA module on an old HP laptop, it works just fine, just takes a little longer. You don't need the latest laptops/PC's to run FEA.

Presumeably you can calculate stresses etc using hand calculations? If not you shouldn't be using FEA.

Any tool is only as good as the user. That is a given.

Did I say you needed the latest laptops/PC's to run FEA? No, I didn't. I just said that it's nice to have the cloud take the bulk of computational load if you so choose.

Also, why on earth would you waste time calculating stresses by hand for anything other than the most basic geometries when you can use FEA and have it done it a fraction of the time. I could make all the parts I machine at work with a file and a hacksaw if I wanted, but why would I?

Hopefully my response is useful to the OP of the thread.

It's not a waste of time. For instance some dept's of NASA expect an FEA anlysis to be backed up with some hand analysis. That demonstrates basic understanding of stress analysis, also it validates the FEA as well if done correctly. Among other things it might show whether loads and constraints have been correctly applied to the model. Remember, garbage in=garbage out.

I must have missed the part of where OP said he was working for NASA. Or where he said that he was a PE approving designs that could kill people if they fail. And clearly you missed the point of my original post. I was sharing my experience with Fusion 360 with OP. That's it.

There is no point in engaging with you further. If you have additional useless input, I would suggest directing it elsewhere.

Sorry to go off topic, but are you finding Doosan list prices online? Where?

Speedios aren't that far off Haas prices for the base machine, but options are more expensive (4th, probing, chip conveyor, etc.).

They list base price for the SVM only as it is their budget minded model
doosan.JPG

I mis spoke up there thinking it was DNM when it is actually SVM that is the cheaper machine.

Back