What's new
What's new

Looking for Bearings for my K&T 2HL

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
If you've read any of my other posts, you might know that I am rehabbing a 1942 K&T 2HL. I managed to get the table off this week (video coming soon to a YouTube channel near you) and took apart the right side bracket to remove the bearings.

There are a pair of tapered roller bearings and races in the bracket that are proving difficult, and in one case so far, impossible to find. Although I think I can probably get away without the special bearing, if I can find a NOS or a gently used one, it might prove to be better.

If anyone is parting out a 2HL and the table screw bearings are in good order, I'd be interested in having a conversation with you.

In the photo below, you can see the two bearings (Timken 23100 and 23100-X). The X variant has a slot cut into the inner race that accepts a L shaped key. I suspect this is here to keep the inner race from rotating on the splined/keyed shaft it rides on. The cups are 23256B - the B indicating it's flanged. I've seen new prices of the cup alone as high as $200 for Made in USA replacements.

TBH, that's a little steep for this home hobby project. I will end up replacing these bearings, as one of them fell completely apart after removal, and the rollers and races are pitted beyond use. The question is, with what. I can find a new set of import bearings for $300 all included. But it sure would be nice to have genuine Made in USA parts in this Made in USA machine.

IMG_9004.jpeg

Bearings like that are not made in USA. Haven't been for decades. I'd suggest you buy the import ones for $300 and go about enjoying the machine.

I have had no problems with cheap China bearings. I used to sell a product that used a special bearing. I used up all the stock of Japanese bearings in the world. I finally had a Chinese company make them for something like 63 cents each. They were superb. better than the $30 a pop ones I was buying.

The crazy part is the bearing is $30. The cup, without the flange, is $25, but I need one with a flange, which is $100. Yay. Plus shipping.

Polish the cups up and reuse. It's not like this bearing is going to spin at 1800 RPM if even 18 RPM. Accuracy would be unnoticed regardless of if it has superficial wear. Now, if the cups have very noticeable damage, may not be doable. As for the notch in the bearing face, throw that key out, and use a standard bearing. Sometimes us engineers over engineer things. Ken

Polish the cups up and reuse. It's not like this bearing is going to spin at 1800 RPM if even 18 RPM. Accuracy would be unnoticed regardless of if it has superficial wear. Now, if the cups have very noticeable damage, may not be doable. As for the notch in the bearing face, throw that key out, and use a standard bearing. Sometimes us engineers over engineer things. Ken
Not even an option I am willing to consider. They are junk and one of them fell apart.

Ron Grundy up in Wisconsin might have a set... He bought a bunch of K&T stuff and worked for K&T for a lot of years.....I think his email addy is on the video the Keith Rucker made about him.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

I should’ve read your post again before looking through all the boxes and bags. I bet the bearings are still inside the table end bracket. I’ll look after work today.

Back