What's new
What's new

Looking for deburring tool for inside of small holes

rimcanyon

Diamond
I need a deburring tool that works with small holes, ⅛” dia. Something like an EZ Burr or a Cogsdill tool would be great, but this is for one job, and $50 for a tool bit is more than its worth to me. Are there any good shop made solutions for deburring the inside corners, or do they make bits for small holes for the typical hand deburring tools? The holes are oil holes in bronze bushings.

L Vanice

Diamond
There are many different tools for that job, some meant for the job and some that just happen to work well. For your stated condition, I would suggest a 1/4" diameter ball-end bur, either HS or carbide. Perhaps you already have one on hand. I have lots of burs and usually see them on eBay for low prices.

I have a 3/8" Rohm keyless drill chuck mounted on a wooden file handle that is ideal for holding burs and countersink bits for this kind of work. Deburring a hole is better done by hand than in a drill press or similar machine. It is also possible to mount a bur directly into a wood file handle if you find one that promises to be useful in the future.

Larry

52 Ford

Stainless
I like using a small taper reamer or a chamfer bit for stuff like that. Like said above, a burr works. An engraving bit would work, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
I use the same method as Larry. Either a 90° conical carbide burr or an appropriately sized ball burr. Sometimes I use them in a (¼" or ⅛") straight or 90° die grinder, sometimes handheld in a small DA collet chuck, depending on the size of the hole and delicacy of the parts. Inside a small bushing will be difficult, what diameter bushing are you working with? For something very small, Booze-man's probably got the ticket.

rimcanyon

Diamond
The carbide burrs would work if I could get access to the inside of the bushing. Problem is I can't, except maybe with a burr that has a long shank, and even then the visibility would be hard to deal with. Looking for a tool I can insert, like a cogsdill bit, that will clean up the inside end of the hole.

DDoug

Diamond
Have you tried a torch ?
Run oxidizing if you can, wave it over quickly to not heat the part.

TeachMePlease

Diamond
The carbide burrs would work if I could get access to the inside of the bushing. Problem is I can't, except maybe with a burr that has a long shank, and even then the visibility would be hard to deal with. Looking for a tool I can insert, like a cogsdill bit, that will clean up the inside end of the hole.

If you're making 50 parts, and each part takes 1 minute longer to deburr using some cobbled together method, you've wasted 50 minutes... Is your time not worth $1/min?

Seems like buying the tool is kind of a no brainer. At least to me.

rimcanyon

Diamond
If you're making 50 parts, and each part takes 1 minute longer to deburr using some cobbled together method, you've wasted 50 minutes... Is your time not worth $1/min?

Seems like buying the tool is kind of a no brainer. At least to me.

Not my situation. Mostly I repair or rebuild machinery, so I occasionally need to drill oil holes in a bushing. Paying $50 for a tool multiplied by the fact that it is only good for a fixed size is hardly a good use of funds.

Limy Sami

Diamond
I need a deburring tool that works with small holes, ⅛” dia. Something like an EZ Burr or a Cogsdill tool would be great, but this is for one job, and $50 for a tool bit is more than its worth to me. Are there any good shop made solutions for deburring the inside corners, or do they make bits for small holes for the typical hand deburring tools? The holes are oil holes in bronze bushings.

like this? S60 Blade - BS6001 | Heavy Duty 3.2mm Swivel blade | Noga Engineering

How does $5.25 sound? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05752589

(If that doesn't suit have a good furtle around the NOGA site)

Trueturning

Diamond
If you are wanting a really good professional debur on that then perhaps on the inside where the drill breaks through change your process where several cuts -about two finish passes on the ID takes any jagged burrs mostly away. .01 cuts will leave minimal burrs on the through holes when that process is done after drilling. Drill the hole first and at minimum breakthrough in relation to the finish ID,

Chatter can be greatly eliminated by a couple of finish passes and minimal drill depth from those holes in the first place. Drill deeper than needed is a waste and just allows more chatter in drilling and boring the ID. It can be done well if you look at what you are doing and take extra care in the machining process.

You have to specify and command your processes while machining to minimize the break through burrs so they are cleanly and very professionally done.

Good conscientious work does not take much longer to do. If it breaks someone’s budget and profit margin then I never waste much time trying to convince anyone that craftsmanship pays.

It is a mindset.

*******Nogas are the boss though. That should do fine without much change in process or even no change in process.

rimcanyon

Diamond
If you are wanting a really good professional debur on that then perhaps on the inside where the drill breaks through change your process where several cuts -about two finish passes on the ID takes any jagged burrs mostly away. .01 cuts will leave minimal burrs on the through holes when that process is done after drilling. Drill the hole first and at minimum breakthrough in relation to the finish ID,

Chatter can be greatly eliminated by a couple of finish passes and minimal drill depth from those holes in the first place. Drill deeper than needed is a waste and just allows more chatter in drilling and boring the ID. It can be done well if you look at what you are doing and take extra care in the machining process.

You have to specify and command your processes while machining to minimize the break through burrs so they are cleanly and very professionally done.

Good conscientious work does not take much longer to do. If it breaks someone’s budget and profit margin then I never waste much time trying to convince anyone that craftsmanship pays.

It is a mindset.

*******Nogas are the boss though. That should do fine without much change in process or even no change in process.

Yes, I think the RC1000 will do the job. They are on sale for $20 currently, good deal.

However I’m still curious about tooling for deburring deep holes. This particular job is like the bushing in a connecting rod: it is a 1/16” thick bushing pressed into an iron gear hub that is 3/8” thick and which has pre-drilled oil holes. So the drilling depth is only 1/16”, but the deburring tool needs to handle a ⅛” hole with a 7/16” depth. The standard Noga deburring tools, such as a S30 blade, have too tight a radius to fit. The bushing that was replaced has a small bevel on the inside, but the work was done 70+ years ago. Tools like the Cogsdill and EZ Burr are modern. What was the old-school method or tool used to do the job?