What's new
What's new

Looking For Documentation on Havir No. 0 Press Rite

HMH

Plastic
I recently got a Havir No. 0 “Press Rite” from an auction. I know nothing about this thing and only bought it because it cost me a whopping $40. So far my research has turned up nothing but an old maintenance manual on Amazon. I would love to know exactly what this thing is meant to do and what it’s rated to do.
9DFF2A35-29E0-40D0-8D8C-79F63255068A.jpegD59195F8-0F4B-49C1-9CA9-845D428CE960.jpeg63C9E648-9119-48B4-A0BD-7297B8E4DF33.jpeg

Its a small (about 1&1/2 -2 ton) capacity inclinable press ....it should have one or two flywheels on the top shaft (eccentric shaft).....normally used with a dieset for punching out shapes from sheetmetal,folding sheetmetal ,forming sheetmetal parts ....there is normally a clutch mechanism to connect the eccentric to a rotating flywheel ..... at the press of a footpedal it does one stroke and stops .....the .flywheel keeps spinning.. plenty of vids on U tube from Pakistan on how to use it .

Last edited:
I once bought the most beautiful little press like that ,it had been used in the Mines Dept to press the state seal onto mining lease papers.....It had been specially finished in black stove enamel with gold lining and nickle plate.

As Ries Suspected it a 5 Ton Press.
Some of the other punch presses on Vintage Machinery may have more information on their use or show how the clutches worked etc. that should give enough information to get yours running.
While the presses them selves are fairly simple it will be the punches and dies used in the tooling that will be complicated.
There are threads on this forum about some other brands including E.W. Bliss
Here is a link to a book on tooling
https://archive.org/details/modernpunchdieco00shairich/mode/2up
Jim

Reactions: HMH
As Ries Suspected it a 5 Ton Press.
Some of the other punch presses on Vintage Machinery may have more information on their use or show how the clutches worked etc. that should give enough information to get yours running.
While the presses them selves are fairly simple it will be the punches and dies used in the tooling that will be complicated.
There are threads on this forum about some other brands including E.W. Bliss
Here is a link to a book on tooling
https://archive.org/details/modernpunchdieco00shairich/mode/2up
Jim
I think this will help a lot, thanks.

Is the flywheel missing?.....that would indicate it was probably stripped to fix the clutch and never re assembled...........presses aint woth much.........A while back at an auction of a going concern a whole row of installed ,working ,presses were all bought by the scrappies.....the scrappies went hog wild over sheets of pure copper in stacks 1ft thick ....,a guy was working there said the copper sheets cost almost $1k each sheet.......something like $100k in a stack...

Another old St Paul company.... looks like they were not far from a milling machine company I looked up a while back. Except the Havir building seems to be gone, the milling machine building is still there.

Not so far from where I grew up. Probably went by there a few hundred times in the 60's.

My scrap guy picks up a bin a month from a crowd with a shed full of punch presses......little round and oblong discs .....he says its his heaviest pickup on 12 tons level with the top....most Ive ever got in a bin was 8 tons ,which was several crane counterweights plus some of the crane.

Doesnt look like the OP got the flywheel,so no risk there. ......anyhoo,one of the Paki stamping press vids,the press operator has got a groove in his thumb exactly matches the punch dia.......no clutch either ,press works ,you keep up.

Richard is correct, Havir was winding down completely in their manufacturing of the 8" shapers by the early 1960's. The lawsuits growing out of misuse of the punch presses resulted in their liquidation. They shut down all press manufacturing by 1976 after the juries found Havir to be negligent in the design of these presses. Appeals in some of these cases lasted into the mid-1990's, long after the company was gone.

It got so bad that the company who liquidated Havir.. Midwestern Machinery (a used machinery company) of MPLS got sued and lost in a Texas case. Some dude bought a punch press in a junk yard, hooked it up, cut off some fingers and sued. It's crazy how dummies can win Lawsuits.

Midwestern is long gone too

Back