What's new
What's new

Looking for info on OLD Clark Clipper

john.k

Diamond
Its actually a bit of a safety feature with old forks....the gas freezes up when the water in the cooling system gets real low........Ive also seen Impco regulators develop a water leak that filled the motor with water,and was mistaken for a head gasket leak.

59Clipper

Plastic
old_new.jpg

I have been able to make some progress. Before and after pics of the control panel. We powder coated it, deleted the fuel gauge like it should have been at the factory, put in the correct fuse holders, took apart the gauges and cleaned them and moved the switch from the side to the panel. The old key/starter switch had the key broke off in it and you had to start it with a screw driver.

Next step is to make a wiring harness for it. I plan on using some connectors on it so that if it needs to be removed again, I don't have to unscrew everything.

59Clipper

Plastic
20210611_142542-2.jpg20210630_143410.jpg

Made some progress on rewiring the control panel.

20210627_114737.jpg

I also had to take the hour meter apart to fix it. Contact needed cleaned and adjusted.

dirtscoots

Plastic
I hope you don’t mind me bumping in on your thread, I have the same Clark forklift with similar carb issues I can’t seem to get it to run right. It starts right up and idles great but will die as soon as I hit the gas. It also is a gas powered lift. Plugs look good has newer wires, points and distributor cap and rotor all look good. I’ve cleaned the carb didn’t seem to help at all. I’m not familiar with a carb that is essential upside down like this. Does it require vacuume to get the fuel into the intake? Also I just replaced the radiator and installed an electric fan yet it seems to get hot im not sure if the thermostat is opening.
Any ideas would be great thank you

Tony Quiring

Titanium
Should start a new thread.

Vacuum not to get gas into carb.

Look in rad to see if water flowing, flowing then stat open.

Lean fuel or late timing Wil run hot.

Float too low will lean it and ha 've restricted power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dirtscoots

Plastic
Should start a new thread.

Vacuum not to get gas into carb.

Look in rad to see if water flowing, flowing then stat open.

Lean fuel or late timing Wil run hot.

Float too low will lean it and ha 've restricted power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you. I will look into those and start a new thread. Lots of great info here. Thanks.

59Clipper

Plastic
Back working on this again. Took a few months off to get the shop cleaned and organized.

Anyway, I decided to strip it and repaint it. I am also going a little further in the rebuild process. Right now I started on the brakes. I took the wheels/drums off and a friend of mine is going to try to turn them down. I had to give them one of the hubs to try and chuck up, since there is no hole through the wheel.

It took me about 2 1/2 hours to get one of the hubs off the axle. Didn't they use anti-seize back in the day?

I have ordered brake lining and rivets from McMaster plus some shim material to make some new shims. The last issue that I found, are the Brake Shoe Anchor pin cams. They are shot to say the least. I found out the old Jeep CJ2's used the same thing, so I ordered four of them. Hopefully they work ok.

If you want to follow my progress, you can go to my youtube channel and let me know how I am doing.

vlcsnap-2021-11-04-10h48m39s863.jpg