What's new
What's new

Looking for Info to Help a Friend Sell a Bridgeport/Textron CNC Kneemill

CutterComp

Plastic
I apologize this isn't the cutting edge CNC tech thread you'd probably prefer to read, but I'm hoping you can fill me in about this machine and help me sell it.

The brief background is that my friend's brother passed away and now the family needs to sell his equipment. He actually had rented space from a cabinet shop in Philadelphia for his mill, lathe, and CNC router. Now the family wants to sell the tools and the cabinet shop wants their space back. As you'll see, the machine is covered in sawdust and probably hasn't been used in about a year or so.

I'm buying the lathe from them and went down to the city the other day to do some scouting on how to move it. While there, I briefly looked at the mill for them and fired it up. I have quite a lot of experience running new Sharp kneemills with Acu-Rite Millpwr G2 setups and standard CNCs (Haas and Matsuura) but in the 10 minutes I had to examine this beast, I must say it seemed VERY foreign and strange.

I'll tell you what I know from looking at it a few minutes and then let the pictures show the rest. It's a Bridgeport from the time period that they were owned by Textron which I've read was '68 to '86. Judging by the head, rear cabinet, table, and larger knee, it was a CNC mill from new but I don't know what year it was made. At some point, it has been converted to newer servo motors on each axis and is utilizing a Dell tower and monitor running Windows XP and Mach 3. If I had to guess, I'd place the newer CNC conversion about 2005 but I really don't know. I have no experience with Mach 3. It has a newish Kurt D688 vise, some tooling in a box, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, and a pneumatic toolchanger atop the head although I couldn't find the controls to actuate the toolchanger unless that's done through Mach 3.

1) What vintage is the mill originally and what vintage is the Mach 3 conversion?

2) Is the tool changer controlled via Mach 3?

3) Am I right that these are NMTB holders? 30 or 40?

4) Can Mach 3 run G code programs written on a CAM program?

5) How capable and user friendly is Mach 3 generally speaking? I've always been very impressed by the Acu-Rite Millpwr G2 system and I'm thinking this is not in the same league.

6) What does this machine weigh? Has to be more than a normal BP knee mill.

7) What's a fair market value?

Thanks!

9w8W92I.jpg

1SKKb2H.jpg

vIRHeuB.jpg

HV69Vfc.jpg

0SnpGc5.jpg

tJANonJ.jpg

mjjLF4M.jpg

vIRHeuB.jpg

wrwV4JM.jpg

UGwpnuu.jpg

TT13Gz9.jpg

oPKr8wh.jpg

y77u2Nn.jpg

DEJ5EFP.jpg

M6MdoL5.jpg

ZRwcQbq.jpg

V4u3w2X.jpg

Phil in Montana

Stainless
Blow the saw dust off, find everything that goes with the mill, post your best pics and come up with a fair price, talk to the cab shop about loading and place a add on CL, the mill has value and will sell...Phil

CutterComp

Plastic
Blow the saw dust off, find everything that goes with the mill, post your best pics and come up with a fair price, talk to the cab shop about loading and place a add on CL, the mill has value and will sell...Phil

Right, so I've found everything that goes with it. Took a bunch of pics. What I don't know is the value of the machine and the answers to the other questions I listed above. Thanks!

Garwood

Diamond
I'd put it up for $5000 OBO dropping the price rapidly and be willing to take $500 if a warm body with a trailer shows up.

That machine is in that weird hobby gray area where guys get excited about things many think are a joke.

I can say I have passed by many, many machines just like that one for $1200-$1500, but someone else did buy them.

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from saying it's worth $500 is the Teco servo picture. That isn't junk so maybe somebody did a nice job? Plywood keyboard cover and missing enclosure parts suggest otherwise, but maybe you'll get a well to do hobby guy to throw some cash at it. Who knows.

G

Depending on what Covid has done to the used machinery market, I would say it is probably worth around $2500 if it can be demonstrated to run as designed. If Covid has knocked prices down to 2008 recession levels then you are looking at $1200-$1500 previously mentioned.