What's new
What's new

Looking for information on Champion Machinery Heavy Duty Drill Press

KB02

Plastic
My Father passed away this past spring and I have pulled, from the depths of his garage, a Champion Machinery 16 speed heavy duty drill press, Model M-1602C. Aside from some rust, some nasty smelling mouse nest remnants and some mouse chewed wires, it's not in horrible shape. I'd like to restore it and use it, but I can't find any information about it online. Is it possible that anyone can point me in the right direction?
I've looked up Champion Machinery, and the only result I've found doesn't appear to be the same company. I've reached out to them but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks

Champion drill presses are just another Taiwan made/China machine that they made millions of. Central Machinery, Chicago, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc. they all imported them under many labels.

That's what I was starting to wonder. Any suggestions for finding a manual? Just search the about names and hope for one that's close? It's all pretty basic, I just can't quite figure out the belt tensioning system. Probably something simple I'm over looking, but...

Mine has an unlocking knob that allows the tensioning lever to push the motor/mount to adjust the belts. Others are similar, some you loosen the the bolt/knob and push the motor/mount by hand to adjust. There are several videos on You Tube showing several different presses being set up and adjusted. Its pretty basic and simple, which may be throwing you off.

Its pretty basic and simple, which may be throwing you off.
Yup. I think that what it is. :)

Just spent the last couple of hours working on pulling it apart and cleaning it (damned mice!). Had to wait for a warm enough day to get it outside so I wasn't getting overwhelmed with the ammonia smell (damned mice!). It's a three pulley setup like the video above and I think what was throwing me off was the center pulley. After watching that video, and doing some more research, it looks like this should be a freely pivoting unit. Mine is not and I couldn't figure out how/where to adjust it. IN theory, I shouldn't have to. Motor adjustment is on the side of the drill housing and easy enough for my 6 year old to figure out. I just thought with that center pulley being so stiff to move that there had to be another component. Looks like there isn't.
Now I've just got to figure out how to get it out! :D I think I can drive it out from underneath. Once again, I blame the mice. Damned rodent urine. You could have stuffed a pillow with the fluff I pulled out of the belt house! Ha, ha!

Back