What's new
What's new

Looking for Physically Shorter Gear Pump

Richard Rogers

Titanium
I've been trying to find a gear pump for my forklift, and it's part of a big reworking of the machine into a specialized rigging duty machine. I've changed how the pump will be driven, so there's no manufacturer to reference anymore. In the process, I need to find a gear pump with the following specs:

SAE "C" 4-bolt mount, SAE "C" 1.25 14 spline drive shaft, common inlet, dual outlet (I can work with any type fittings) 5.1 cu inch main pump and 2.2 cu inch steering pump

Problem is, I'm needing to find something that is shorter than 12 inches from end to the mounting face that goes against where it bolts to mount. Everything I am finding is about 1 to 2 inches too long. Would anybody know a make or type that is shorter than typical?

Target outputs are 53 gallon per minute on service pump and 20.5 gallon per minute on steering pump.

PS: I prefer gear pumps, but if someone can make a case for a vane pump, I'll listen. Thank you for any helping out.

Richard

I think you will have a very hard time finding what you are looking for.

Your specification are determining the overall size which gives you the length you can't live with.

I would suggest to eliminate the tandem pump arrangement and drive the steering pump from a belt drive on the motor. 20gpm for a steering pump seems on the high side.

your gallons per minute and physical size requirement, may require two pumps, plumbed parallel. Since you are designing, look at more options.
Be sure you look at fluid velocity in the 53 gpm system to size the plumbing. I forget the the max rate. But

Was it in your plan to make pumps, too?

Why not start with a shortlist of pumps you KNOW you can GET .. and arrange space and method of drive FOR (one of) them? Better-yet, several.

You changed how it would be driven once?

You can change how it would be driven twice.

Redneck ingineering rule number one:

Alter the portion(s) you CAN alter.

Not the parts you must depend on others for.

Taking up sky-diving in week ONE but deferring selection and acquisition of a parachute until week TWO is not a good example of planning ahea

Vincent J. Speranza - Full Original Version-BLOOD UPON THE RISERS - YouTube

Dad used to sing that song, 187th Regimental Combat team, Korea. 2 combat jumps.

Parker Series 20 Aluminum bushing gear pumps catalog allowed me to built it in a modular way. SAE C mount, SAE C spline, 5 and 2 cui inch piggypack style. Thanks for some of these replies, not all. It gets here next Friday.

Was it in your plan to make pumps, too?

Why not start with a shortlist of pumps you KNOW you can GET .. and arrange space and method of drive FOR (one of) them? Better-yet, several.

You changed how it would be driven once?

You can change how it would be driven twice.

Redneck ingineering rule number one:

Alter the portion(s) you CAN alter.

Not the parts you must depend on others for.

Taking up sky-diving in week ONE but deferring selection and acquisition of a parachute until week TWO is not a good example of planning ahea

Vincent J. Speranza - Full Original Version-BLOOD UPON THE RISERS - YouTube

Pump changeout is part of an engine/transmission upgrade. It fits into the implement socket of an Allison CRT3531-3 transmission, hence the splined shaft. The old pump was driven off the former engine with a drive shaft, and there is no longer room for that. To keep the Hyster repair manual specs of the old pump, the ones I kept finding were not going to go into the implement socket, fitted SAE C both spline and mount pattern. Of course, you knew all that. I was on here to find someone who actually knew one end of their anatomy from another, which I did in the form of an old member who knows me. Yeah, you ran your keyboard and removed all doubt.
It has to go between the implement fitting and oil housing opposite to it. Allison CRT 3531-3.jpg

I think you will have a very hard time finding what you are looking for.

Your specification are determining the overall size which gives you the length you can't live with.

I would suggest to eliminate the tandem pump arrangement and drive the steering pump from a belt drive on the motor. 20gpm for a steering pump seems on the high side.

Yes, you are right to think it's kind of high, but this is a 15 ton forklift. This spec was in the repair manual for this lift. The pump also did some other duties, such as evacuating an oil clutch bellhousing, and running a clutch power-booster on demand, which I'm making go bye-bye with changeout to an Allison tranny. I'm thinking 12 gpm for steering circuit alone will do fine. Thanks for the help.

You're exactly right, but I assumed everyone would be thinking 1500 to 2500 psi range. That's sort of where pumps doing this duty "live".

So don't get all in a knot with the replies then.

You "ASS-UM-ED" a wee bit too much, with a technical question with tite restrictions.

Back