What's new
What's new

Looking for replacements for discontinued parts

gitano

Plastic
I have a Grizzly 3617 mill that has a inoperable Contactor. I don't want to offend anyone by discussing a "Chinese machine", so in what forum, if any, can I put my request for assistance in finding a replacement for a discontinued part?

Paul

Phil in Montana

Stainless
A contractor is not a big deal, ebay or a electric supply house will have something close...but if you want a bolt in lots of luck with that...Phil

EPAIII

Diamond
You should be able to get the various ratings from the wiring diagram of the machine. If you do not have the manual, check the Grizzly web site as they do have manuals available there for download (free).

What you are looking for is a match for the coil and for the contacts. The coil is probably operated with an AC Voltage and the amount of current needed is not all that critical. Most contactors with the same Voltage rating for the coil should be OK.

As for the contacts, the first thing is you will need the same arrangement: number of poles and type. The types are normally open, which is perhaps the most common, normally closed, and a combination of those two. The combination arrangement is the most universal as you can just use the connections you need and ignore the rest.

Another thing to look out for is some contactors have a lower current set of contacts for use in the control circuit, often to provide a holding Voltage on their own coil once a momentary switch has been used to activate it. The trick here is that an extra set of high current contacts can also be used for this purpose.

BTW, have you called Grizzly? They may be able to recommend a replacement.

If this gets shut down here, you can post the question on the Home Shop Machinist board.

You can also PM me and I will try to work with you on this.

DDoug

Diamond
If this gets shut down here, you can post the question on the Home Shop Machinist board.

You can also PM me and I will try to work with you on this.
Don't forget the "Happy forum"...:D
www.hobby-machinist.com

Last edited:

Bill D

Diamond
I know there is a DIN standard for Europen electrical stuff like this. Is there a standard used in Asia that might allow interchange?
Bill D

hanermo

Titanium
The easy choice is to contact the big electrical supply houses, with a photo (and hopefully nameplate or model version as well) and specs of your contactor.
Digikey and similar have eu branches, and will quote you a correct part within the same day, typically.
Note *correct*.

And they like to call You, and advise you, and use their applications engineers to make sure the part is suitable.
And you will get support and or swaps if something is needed.
A digikey contactor delivered in the EU might be 40$, in 72 hours, ime, and the cheapest chinese copy might be 20, in 3-6 weeks.

Ries

Diamond
Manual is here- https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g3617_m.pdf
looks like a standard contactor, I would second going to an industrial electrical supply house. My experience is it will be a bunch more than $40, I have had to replace contactors on some of my euro machines, and its often more like in the $100 to $200 range to get those types here. But thats a pretty standard part, should be on the shelf somewhere.

This one on Amazon looks like its little brother. https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Cont...497&s=hi&sprefix=cjx1+32+3tb,tools,119&sr=1-4