What's new
What's new

looking for someone that can do some lathe work for an experiment that I plan to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

wave44

Plastic
I am looking for someone that can do some free (i.e. no charge) machining on a lathe for an experiment that I plan to set up. I have 3" diameter stainless steel tubes (thin wall) less than 1 foot long and also 1/4" tubing and vacuum flange fittings from Swagelok that need machining and eventually welding (I also need to find people who can weld these together). I'm guessing the machining will be around 15 hours of work. I am setting up an interesting experiment and my hope is to build the core part of the experiment and use that to find investors. I have 30 years experience as a mechanical engineer and a good amount of experience designing things with tubing and fittings that require welding. I can pay for the materials. The timeframe is to do this about 4 months (or later) from now. If I can find 2 or 3 machinists that are interested then that will cover the situation where some of them are too busy at that time.
Edit: I added more details below:

There are multiple groups that see small amounts of transmutation in metals from electric discharges. My plan is to reproduce some of these experiments. For example, in the Safire Project, they use high voltages at medium/low current and found new elements (namely calcium, barium and titanium) on their iron, nickel and tungsten anode after the electrical discharges. Those elements did not previously exist anywhere in their experimental set up and the presumption is that the calcium, barium and titanium were produced by transmutation from other metals inside the experiment:

Another group from India ran electrolysis experiments in water that showed elements on their electrode having isotopic ratios that did not match the naturally occurring isotopic ratios, see here:

Both groups carefully attempt to rule out conventional explanations such as contamination from inside or outside their experiment.

My plan is to attempt to reproduce one of these experiments except using simpler components to make it cheaper. I have done other experiments in the past that looked for excess heat (i.e higher thermal output than electrical input) which did not succeed. For this next experiment I need to reduce my costs so that I can fully finish it and attempt iterations if it does not initially work.
thank you

Last edited:
I am looking for someone that can do some free (i.e. no charge) machining on a lathe for an experiment that I plan to set up. I have 3" diameter stainless steel tubes (thin wall) less than 1 foot long and also 1/4" tubing and vacuum flange fittings from Swagelok that need machining and eventually welding (I also need to find people who can weld these together). I'm guessing the machining will be around 15 hours of work. I am setting up an interesting experiment and my hope is to build the core part of the experiment and use that to find investors. I have 30 years experience as a mechanical engineer and a good amount of experience designing things with tubing and fittings that require welding. I can pay for the materials. The timeframe is to do this about 4 months (or later) from now. If I can find 2 or 3 machinists that are interested then that will cover the situation where some of them are too busy at that time.
thank you
No dreamers, 80.00 / hour and no I won't work for a %age of the millions you expect to make.

thank you
30 years as an engineer you should have plenty of money set aside to fund this yourself.
Put your own skin in the game.

Last edited:
Before I started engineering school, I had four years of experience running a metal lathe and could silver braze. After my first year of engineering school, I could gas and arc weld. While I was working as an engineer, I noticed that the best of my coworkers were quite handy with tools and understood how to use them. Then there were the others...

And no, I don't work for free either.

Larry

So you have worked for 30 years as an engineer and you can't afford to pay someone for 15 hours of machine work? We all know that after the parts are made, something will be the wrong dimension (using your print) and the 15 hours will turn in to 60 hours and still more machine work will be required!

Why don't you buy your own lathe and do all the fee work you want?

I am a retired engineer with 37 years of experience. I was not payed minimum wage so could afford to buy what I needed.

I only do free work for close friends and relatives and even that can turn in to a nightmare as they think a simple job on the lathe or mill should only take a few minutes when in reality it takes hours. The chances of you finding some one here who will work for free is 0 to none.

I do not want the job because I'm retired, but if I did take/consider the job, you would have to disclose the product idea So I could see it had potential. Then agree to pay me hours worked x $200 per if a successful product was achieved. Nobody should give free hours unless there is a chance/gable to get paid better than regular pay....you can't buy groceries with At A boys.
The first fail was not posting your location...That alone would make me doubt your ideas/plans....Wasted time with obvious questions is a project killer.
Thin wall SS can be a bugger, so some special fixturing may be needed.

QT>(If I can find 2 or 3 machinists that are interested in working for free) that may be another fault in thinking.
If it was a grinding project and in my neighborhood, I might consider it

Last edited:
This is sort of fascinating...unlike the usual dreamer, who wants free stuff and dangles the carrot of future riches...this one doesn't actually offer ANYTHING in return. Now that is pure genius.

Then, he also notes that he'll need 2 or 3 machinists so's they can cover for each other when they're otherwise too busy. I used to try applying this to the women I dated but they never took the bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back