What's new
What's new

Looking info on this vintage Greenfield Tan and Die Corp. Universal Cutter & Grinder

PastJoysandToys

Plastic
Looking info on this vintage Greenfield Tan and Die Corp. Universal Cutter & Grinder

A friend has asked me to research this piece in preparation to list it for sale. I can not find another one anywhere to compare with. It appears to be very similar to a ad found for a 1907 by Greenfield Machine Co. except the info suggest that Greenfield Tap and Die was not formed until 1912. The ID tag below the Greenfield Tap and Die tag on back of machine reads Fairbanks Company. The info suggests the bases where round in the 1920s and 1930s while the square base like this one appears to have been earlier than the 1920s. It came out of a barn that had a 1900s forge set up, a 1903 Hawkeye trip hammer along with a Root and Vandervoort hit and miss from around the same time period. Does anyone have any other info (or know where to look) concerning this vintage Greenfield Tab and Die cutter and grinder ?

greenfield4.jpggreenfield2.jpggreenfield3.jpggreenfield5.jpggreenfield.jpg

Robert Lang

Stainless
There were a number of companies that merged to form Greenfield Tap & Die.
One of them was Wells Bros.(Brothers) of Greenfield. This is the Wells Bros. cutter grinder.
This one looks to be made in the 1930's. The early ones had a crank handle to operate the table back and forth.
The later ones had a hand wheel to operate the table.
This was listed in the GTD catalog as the No. 190 "Wells" Cutter and Reamer Grinder-Universal Type.

Rob

enginebill

Stainless
Unless you have all the parts that go with it and there are a lot of them, them machine is virtually worthless. I have one just like is with a lot of the parts but I am still missing some which is why it still sits outside under a tarp.

Mike C.

Diamond
Agreed an untooled T&C grinder is just like an untooled lathe, but it doesn't have to be the original parts to make it work. You can do an AWFUL lot with a little cheap 5C spin indexer, a used air bearing fixture and a set of adapted centers. Also, it is a perfectly suitable surface grinder with a little magnetic chuck on top. Mighty handy to just have a white wheel set up on it for hand held drill sharpening, too.

Toolmaker51

Aluminum
Personally, can imagine fabrication of individual T&C grinder tooling not difficult as creating multiple lathe tooling; provided adequate machine tools. The challenge is in translating decent accuracy, compared to interchangeability; into whittling cast or billet chunks.
No question, an extended commercial ER collet shank would be a terrific head start.

Don't mind me, I read threads and post with unchecked abandon, regardless how ancient.

JST

Diamond
Ancient thread....

But, any tooling that fits, or can be made to fit the slot should work with the machine. I have a version of the same unit, and simply adapted a set of centers to fit, and made a micrometer adjustable tooth support. I mainly use it for sharpening horizontal mill cutters, so the adjustable support lets me get the angles and relief right far better than the regular "slide and lock" type.