What's new
What's new

Looking into a Mazak QT15n

j1387

Plastic
Hello, I'm looking into a Mazak qt15n they range from 1988 to 1995 from the ones ive come across, as a pretty large step up from where i'm at now. I currently have built and or modified everything from manual lathe cnc conversions using Linux cnc to vertical mill cnc conversions using Mach 4 and table routers using Uccnc. I don't really know what i'm getting into here so several points of concern,
Is this going to be a step up and lead me to be able to fill more serious jobs or will getting a machine like this be constant trouble?
With my experience would these be difficult machines to repair/maintain myself, not familiar with older industrial machines and electronics, but having built some fairly serious hobby machines with encoders and whatnot.
what are some things to look at when I inspect a machine like this? Are there problem areas with this particular model to look out for.
should I be worried at 9000 lbs placing this machine on my 3.5 or 4 inch garage slab?
With the Mazatrol t32b what are my programming options and can I load gcode with the proper post from lets say fusion 360?
I am also fairly confident with typing mdi gcode but worry about if its completely conversational if it will be too time consuming to do small runs/ prototype parts.
If conversational only how hard is it to program things such as threading/ more complex parts, 3d parts with contours.
Is it possible to do off center drilling and milling with these machines, is live tooling an option, or can it be added?
I realize some of these questions may be hard to answer without knowing exactly what is going on but I appreciate any help and guidance! thanks for any help in advance!

Also, checkout Toolcat's post in shop photos at the bottom of the forums here:

A machine that old can really nicely dump programs to it and it is Mazatrol. They hold tolerance awesome and are great little machines.

A plain Quick Turn is a simple two axis lathe, but they’re really nice machines.

Older Mazak machines don’t accept programs from CAM without an additional option on the control called EIA. That said, Mazatrol is a very user friendly well thought out control. It really shines for one offs and small runs. I can have a simple program with several features programmed from scratch in just a few minutes assuming I’m using tools already in the turret.

Y axis and live tools/milling would be an option usually not found on a simple quick turn, they put those on the Super Quick Turn machines. You can’t add them later if the machine wasn’t set up for it from the factory. They’re completely different machines.

I have a Quick Turn 350 and it really sold me on the simplicity of Mazatrol for job shop work. Mazak is quality iron and is made well. I would probably be inclined to run CAM once you get into complex multi axis work or multiple spindles/turrets but for most turning the conversational Mazatrol is really effective.

Also, checkout Toolcat's post in shop photos at the bottom of the forums here:
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking through all the videos and reading through the forum. Great info

A plain Quick Turn is a simple two axis lathe, but they’re really nice machines.

Older Mazak machines don’t accept programs from CAM without an additional option on the control called EIA. That said, Mazatrol is a very user friendly well thought out control. It really shines for one offs and small runs. I can have a simple program with several features programmed from scratch in just a few minutes assuming I’m using tools already in the turret.

Y axis and live tools/milling would be an option usually not found on a simple quick turn, they put those on the Super Quick Turn machines. You can’t add them later if the machine wasn’t set up for it from the factory. They’re completely different machines.

I have a Quick Turn 350 and it really sold me on the simplicity of Mazatrol for job shop work. Mazak is quality iron and is made well. I would probably be inclined to run CAM once you get into complex multi axis work or multiple spindles/turrets but for most turning the conversational Mazatrol is really effective.
Great info. Thanks for the reply and explanation. This has eased my worries on the machine itself and it sounds like a fun machine. Im worried I don't have the electrical I need to run these machines after diving in on everything a little more in depth which is a real bummer. I was hoping to move to something with real capabilities.

question now is, unfortunately I think I know the answer. Will this machine run on 60a of 220 single phase with a phase converter? I see that for the size requirements of the motor I'm not really even close at 60a and from what some of the converter requirements are I'm still a ways off knowing that I'll have big reduction in capabilities of the machine if it will even run at all.

question now is, unfortunately I think I know the answer. Will this machine run on 60a of 220 single phase with a phase converter? I see that for the size requirements of the motor I'm not really even close at 60a and from what some of the converter requirements are I'm still a ways off knowing that I'll have big reduction in capabilities of the machine if it will even run at all.
I don't know the true amperage needs of a small quick turn, but I would think you could run one on a 60 amp breaker. You would obviously need a phase converter, and you'd need to size your wiring appropriately. Not sure what the efficiency loss is on a phase converter, but there is some.

You can change spindle ramp and rapids and whatnot to pull less amps, and you are very rarely going to need full power.

The nameplate amps on these machines is assuming full load on EVERY SINGLE component, all at the same time. My QT 350 wants like a 150 amp 480v breaker or something silly, and I'm running it fine on a 60 amp with other stuff on the same circuit. My wire is sized to the breaker. I've never come close to 60 amps, we've had the meter on the machine running parts at 100%.

Yeah in a perfect world, you'd run big fat cables for each phase, and run each machine on a dedicated 150 amp breaker or whatever, but in reality, most services aren't that big and do just fine on smaller service.

A small Quick Turn is a pretty small machine. You should be able to run one in a home shop.

Philabuster is running several Mazak machines in his home shop, you should PM him and get his input.

I don't know the true amperage needs of a small quick turn, but I would think you could run one on a 60 amp breaker. You would obviously need a phase converter, and you'd need to size your wiring appropriately. Not sure what the efficiency loss is on a phase converter, but there is some.

You can change spindle ramp and rapids and whatnot to pull less amps, and you are very rarely going to need full power.

The nameplate amps on these machines is assuming full load on EVERY SINGLE component, all at the same time. My QT 350 wants like a 150 amp 480v breaker or something silly, and I'm running it fine on a 60 amp with other stuff on the same circuit. My wire is sized to the breaker. I've never come close to 60 amps, we've had the meter on the machine running parts at 100%.

Yeah in a perfect world, you'd run big fat cables for each phase, and run each machine on a dedicated 150 amp breaker or whatever, but in reality, most services aren't that big and do just fine on smaller service.

A small Quick Turn is a pretty small machine. You should be able to run one in a home shop.

Philabuster is running several Mazak machines in his home shop, you should PM him and get his input.
This is great news! There is still some hope and the dream is still alive! Thanks for the reply and detailed answers. I would love to see what you have going on with the 350 Mazak. Looks like a really cool machine. Are you running on 220v or 480? Also I will reach out to Philabuster so thanks for the recommendation.

Our shop runs on a 100 Amp main breaker since its feeding from another panel and its the biggest breaker accepted, it was temporary but still works after 4 years, this breaker feeds a 10hp screw compressor, a Okuma M560v, the Mazak QT15 and a 24,000 btu ductless split, "all simultaneously", never popped except when I powered on a 45 kva 480/208 transformer wired in reverse which draws a lot of current initially.

Wow great to know! It seems I should be able to pull this off. My entire system is 60a but I rarely have other things going on at the same time. I would like to be able to run simultaneously but I can only do what I can do I guess. Problem is is it's on two breakers out of the panel and I think 40 amp (2 20amp breakers). The main outside panel has 2 fuses at 60a (pretty sure that is like 1 60a fuse) . I'm probably going to have to get a little creative with this lol.

The big current draw is main spindle start and stop. Like others have said, changing ramp up and down will make that much easier. I'm too lazy to mess with mine, may ask the tech when he is here to setup next few machines.
My lathes put out a bit of heat because of start and stop. They run in BAR LOOP for almost an hour at time making a lot of parts. Both Main and Sub do a lot of starting and stopping. Draws current, makes heat. But I just turn up the AC and carry on. All parts are Acetal so not a lot of power needed to turn. And no coolant.

The thing to remember is Mazatrol may be easy to learn for a noob and watching youtube, however it is different compared to G-code/EIA which may help you to learn for other equipment like routers etc. Also, the reason I bring this up, is you can find a cheap one and still buy used parts HOWEVER if a board goes on that controller etc you will be hurting $$$$. Remember...they are old!

The big current draw is main spindle start and stop. Like others have said, changing ramp up and down will make that much easier. I'm too lazy to mess with mine, may ask the tech when he is here to setup next few machines.
My lathes put out a bit of heat because of start and stop. They run in BAR LOOP for almost an hour at time making a lot of parts. Both Main and Sub do a lot of starting and stopping. Draws current, makes heat. But I just turn up the AC and carry on. All parts are Acetal so not a lot of power needed to turn. And no coolant.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I'm still looking into options. Concerned about my lack of power for my intentions. Looking into an upgrade at the box, but that's some serious money at that point.

Back