What's new
What's new

Looking to buy a diamond cup wheel...nobody publishes catalogs anymore

implmex

Titanium
Hi All:
So yesterday I get finished a half hour early and decide to just quickly order another diamond cup wheel for the Deckel SO cutter grinder.
I go to my usual local heros on-line to look and see if they have something suitable in their catalogs.

Nobody seems to publish ANYTHING usable on line anymore.
I got to Thomas Skinner's website...a bunch of promo wank and no product selection anymore; only links to manufacturers web sites.
I go to KBC's web site...at least they have searchable listings but sadly nothing suitable.
I go to ACT Equipment...totally useless web site that tells me nothing and none of the buttons take you anywhere...they didn't even bother to make them active for anything.
I go to Technicut...navigate to the "Products" page...no selections in the products page...they took their cue from Skinner except they implemented it even more poorly than Skinner did.

Don't these f'ing morons WANT my money anymore?
We are sooo damn spoiled by McMaster...a web page where you can find your shit, you can select your shit, you can order your shit and you can pay for your shit...all in one easy 5 minute visit.

I used to be able to go to say the Thomas Skinner site, and browse the online catalog...not as well laid out as McMaster's but usable nonetheless.

Now I get a wanky picture of a turbine impeller and a close up look at what's up Greg, the machine sales guy's nose and a bunch of sucky commentary about the nobility of their purpose that makes me want to puke.
I don't fucking CARE what Greg has or does not have up his nose...I don't CARE about their bullshit wanker "Mission Statement" I just want to look for diamond wheels.
I want availability, I want prices, I want specifications...but in the rush to appear "cool" these companies seem to have let the marketing idiots run the asylum, and now I can't do those things anymore.

So is it as bad in the USA as it seems to be getting up here in Canada?

Does anyone have a source to buy diamond wheels from?
I'm looking for a flared cup wheel, 600 grit resin bond 100% concentration 1/8 wide diamond band 20 mm bore 3" OD.

So far when I do a search for Flared Cup Diamond Wheel I get mostly Home Depot and concrete saws, or Ali Baba.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

implmex

Titanium
Hi again All:
Colt45 put me on to Artco and I just placed my order with them.
I dropped over 500 bucks with them in about 10 minutes, so they got the sale and a big THANK YOU to colt 45.

Also a big FUCK YOU to all the local dickweed sellers...I'm so happy you DIDN'T get the sale.
So smarten up, make it possible to buy from you without the hoop jumping, and maybe I'll consider doing business with you again!

Cheers

Marcus

Man am I ever getting CRANKY in my old age!!

MC

ripperj

Stainless
I hear you man, I’m so used to buying stuff with just a few clicks that I have zero tolerance for a crappy website.
I’ll pay more if it’s easy vice requesting quotes and emailing back and forth for days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nobody seems to publish ANYTHING usable on line anymore.
It's even better when a company used to have a decent site, not pretty, but effective, then they hire Obama's repurposed website designer and now all it does is talk about what their dog ate for breakfast, how many trees they saved this month, what the hopes and dreams and aspirations of the company's neighbor's grand-daughter are, and why we shouldn't be mean to fat people ? But not a single fucking thing about the product, except it's the best thing since sliced bread ?

CarbideBob

Diamond
They have diamond cup wheels in any catalog or basic online? That would scare me.
The stuff from Mc is shall we say substandard or very generic. The people that make these for Mc have very good stuff but is not the sold big market.
Usable for sure but what is sold here is not so good in my world but I am not dry grind so these have to be a guess as to the what or how.
Problem is that like carbide grades diamond wheels are specific to application and come in so many flavors so you need a "wheel" guy who has devoted his life to this and seen thousands of applications.
If I want a specified bond, diamond, grade, density, grain in a six inch 1/2 wide and 1/4 depth 4 to5 hundred is normal.
It is different to me than so many here so different point of view.
Bob

implmex

Titanium
Hi Carbide Bob:
I hear you and I agree fully with what you're saying.
Two things however:

Thing number 1;
I don't even know what I don't know when it comes to the details of selecting a diamond wheel for the purpose...I know a tiny bit but nothing even remotely like what a guy like you who does it for a living knows; and the knowledge is not that accessible.
More importantly, it's difficult to find a diamond wheel maker who will take me seriously for a one time purchase of a couple of hundred bucks so I can see their point when they discourage a guy like me from contacting them.
So access to the knowledge is harder for me than for you and translating that knowledge into a purchase is harder still.
I know it's out there, I can even see it in the Norton catalog, but I can't find anyone who will sell it to me without having to bang my head against the wall and jump stupid hoops.

Point #2:
This isn't so much about the diamond wheel as it is a rant about not being able to buy ANYTHING anymore without going through a whole new set of rubbish imposed by the sellers and their awful new habit of making their on-line presence a wank fest rather than a usable resource.
I would feel the same rage if I was trying to buy a drill...I just happened to knock up against the problem with a diamond wheel purchase this time.

So I'm waiting impatiently for the tide to turn and for everyone to see the success of the McMaster model and the pitiful failure of the "mission statement" model of online advertising.

After all, you'd think their goal is still to separate me from my money as often as possible...I'm stating my resentment that they are making it hard for me to hold up my end of the transaction.

Cheers

Marcus

richard newman

Titanium
I agree 100% with Marcus on this, it can be so frustrating to figure things out on so many sites.. McMaster makes it so simple, is incomprehensible to me why all the other suppliers are unable to come even close. I hate it when I enter a search and get items that don't relate at all to what Iv'e asked for, WTF!

The complaint that McM doesn't show the brand or origin of their products is valid, but I've found an email to them asking for such receives a very fast response, sometimes within minutes. And so far it's always been name brand and high quality stuff. Gotta love them.

Screwmachine

Titanium
Any new wheel I've bought in the last decade or so has been from Unirock. They have a pretty good site but the catalogs are in PDF. As I recall they had a good choice of wheels that fit the little Deckel grinder. Had a 150mm double face MD16 on an Agathon that held up superbly for 7-8 years with a lot of abuse, not Bob level use but probably an hour/day, only got changed because someone knocked a chunk of diamond out with the spindle off.

Unirock SA – Developpement suisse / Schweizerische Entwicklung / Swiss development – Notre entreprise developpe et produit une vaste gamme de meules diamantees et CBN depuis 1991.

dian

Titanium
great catalogue, thanks for that. interestingly they seem to recommend climbing with their wheels.

Rickyb

Cast Iron
You will have many moreoptions that are less expensive if you buy 1.25” bore and sleeve it to 20mm. Also your deckel is designed to take 100 mm wheel which is 4”. Fits just fine on my kuhlmann su. Basically the same machine.