What's new
What's new

Looking to learn more

Amanor

Plastic
Hello,
I’m at the point at my job where I have been caught up to speed with what I need to do there is always areas I need to learn at there never is a time where I don’t need too. I’m currently a CNC programmer for a machine shop and from what I see my company is on the verge of pushing automation strongly (we already have a few UR robots in place). I want to be ahead of the game but I’m not sure how I really want to get into more advanced Automation, PLC programming, and 5 axis milling and lathe machining. Those areas I really have no one at my job to train me or show me so I’m asking for some opinions on how I should go about it. Should I go back to school for it or is there another way to try and learn to get ahead.

DMF_TomB

Diamond
Hello,
I’m at the point at my job where I have been caught up to speed with what I need to do there is always areas I need to learn at there never is a time where I don’t need too. I’m currently a CNC programmer for a machine shop and from what I see my company is on the verge of pushing automation strongly (we already have a few UR robots in place). I want to be ahead of the game but I’m not sure how I really want to get into more advanced Automation, PLC programming, and 5 axis milling and lathe machining. Those areas I really have no one at my job to train me or show me so I’m asking for some opinions on how I should go about it. Should I go back to school for it or is there another way to try and learn to get ahead.

there are different PLC just like different brands of CNC and different CAM programs. its like learning Mastercam X2 and a few years later its X4 or X6 and different enough to be relearning it. or get job at a company that never uses Mastercam but uses ProE or different CAM. virtually 99% of training for one does not help with a different software
or like knowing Windows XP or 7 really well, then you got Windows 10 and are taking considerable time relearning it.
and school classes same you can train on particular PLC and it almost be useless on different brand or even same brand but a few year later they change a lot of things.
its like learning generic CNC and a particular brand of CNC in your shop is alot different. sort of like also if you learn a Mazak mill M32 its not going to help much with a Mazak lathe which is different enough to be unable to use it without help or training.
when you got a particular type in front of you, read its 1000's of pages of manuals which are often free (only if somebody paying you to work with that particular PLC or software or CNC, etc) otherwise its often different or conflicting enough to just be a waste of time trying to learn generic types you never work with.
and yes its often easier to work and learn from others. obviously there are times where asking somebody a question and getting a answer in less than one minute is faster than searching 1000's of pages of manuals that may or may not have the answer.