What's new
What's new

Looking to move into sales

ChuckD128

Plastic
I am looking to move into a sales role I am currently residing in NE Ohio and would like to stay there. I don’t have a specific direction on what I would like to sell. I am open to any and all options

Sales is a business of leveraging relationships. Figure out who, that you already know, buys stuff at their job. Get a job selling that stuff to them no matter how low the pay. Learn that stuff and then start selling it to other people. Once you have a group of people that you have relationships with that trust you (never lie to a customer) you become an asset and can begin to personally profit off of those relationships. It's a really tough, competitive world, good luck!

The real money is in selling expensive things like real estate, yachts, airplanes, etc. The more the compensation is based on commissions rather than salary the more you can make.

Real estate sales for example is straight commission, no salary, no draw, no commissions. You even have to pay your own expenses like for licensing, dues, advertising, etc. You start off in the hole for at least several months. Real Estate salesmen are truly self employed people.

In sales, if the company you work for provides leads and pays you a decent salary you are a clerk or an order taker, not really a salesman and so they won't pay much.

Lets say you are selling machines like $100,000+ cnc equipment. The real money in those sales is if you can secure your own leads by cold calling shops. If the company provides the leads and you start making too much in commission they will cut your percentage or cut your territory. They own you because they own the leads. If you are making sales by getting your own leads, they can't do that as you can just leave and sell for their competitor. When you can secure your own leads and close those sales, then you are truly a salesman.

I am looking to move into a sales role I am currently residing in NE Ohio and would like to stay there. I don’t have a specific direction on what I would like to sell. I am open to any and all options

Nah, don't do that.
I saw your other thread, you any good at running machines?

If you don't mind 2nd or 3rd shift, I can give you a lead on a great job. $34/hr, 1.5x for Saturdays and 2x for Sundays.

You don't have to be a super machinist, just have the capacity to learn, follow directions verbatim and do not crash anything. The product is critical and cannot be replaced.

We've got openings for inspection as well if that's more your thing.

The opportunity is open to anyone else here in NE Ohio with machining or dimensional inspection experience as well. Good money, good benefits and you're (almost) never required to break a sweat. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Back