What's new
What's new

Loose micrometer barrel

SRuss

Aluminum
Hello All,

I am doing the calibration on some Amtos outside micrometers.

I saw the zero setting was off by a few tenths, so I put the spanner wrench to it. In my opinion, it was too loose and moved too easily! I would think that it could be knocked back out of whack very easily.

My question is; is there a way to tighten the barrel in-house, if at all?

If not, I'm throwing a "reference only" sticker on it.

Thanks!

Amtos is another one of the imports from the Far East. Repairing it may or may not be possible. You are right: if it's that loose, it can (and will be) knocked out of whack SOON. Probably labeling it "Reference Only" would be your best bet.

I'm thinking "Trash Barrel Reference Only".

Seriously, if someone were to use it even for reference and it had been off by more than the tolerance, who gets the blame for a fouled workpiece? Given that you can find a perfectly good quality Mitutoyo or Starrett on Ebay for short money, I wouldn't waste another minute with that wastebasket counterweight.

I think some mics have a piece of soft material, recessed, under the barrel. It presses upwards, to put a drag on it. maybe there is something like that on the Amtos?

Payson.

SRuss --

Some Chinese micrometers have a setscrew to clap the sleeve. It's usually on the back of the sleeve, maybe 3/8 inch out from the frame . . . probably so that it's hidden under the thimble when set to minimum capacity as when setting the zero.

John

I would use it as a C Clamp to hold small parts together or as a weight to tight line for some catfish.

It isn't worth a scraped part to keep a micrometer like that in use for any reason.

Thanks everyone.

I spoke with my manager about this, and he actually said we'd replace them. :eek:
I just try to save everything I can because getting new stuff here is pretty rare.
I suppose reference only tags are good for calipers for quick stock size measurements and things like that.

Thank you, IronReb, for that great idea. I'm going to use it as a sounder for icefishing this winter. :cheers:

I know this post is old but in case anyone has the same issue this info may help, as flutemaker stated some have a flat brass ring underneath that can be accessed by sliding the sleeve back you can remove it and open it up so that when you slide the sleeve back you have to squeeze it to get it on. Those without it like older style Mitutoyo's are press fit so you have to remove it and compress the end with the adjusting hole normally a sharp hit with a piece of aluminum does the trick. In most cases the adjusting nut has to be removed in order to get the sleeve off, when reassembling tighten the nut until the mic locks up then back off in small increments until its free throughout its range.

A long time ago, I worked for several months at Fowler Tool. There was an older man named Bob Ripley in the repair dept. He taught me a lot about repairing all the measuring tools.
When you adjust the nut on the spindle, as the spindle starts to jam;
rest the threads on a block of wood,
with a small mallet, tap on the nut in 2 or 3 places to set the spindle into the body threads ,
continue to adjust until the spindle jams,
back off, and tap again.
I just did it on my old B&S, and the Mitutoyo elec. I use for inspections.

Payson.

Back