What's new
What's new

"Lordstown halts production, shipments of Endurance electric trucks" Recall announced

standardparts

Diamond
Heard today that they may go bankrupt. Selling a $100,000+ unknown electric pickup against Ford and GMC for more money is a tough sell.
Bill D

The company here converting old diesel highway trucks to battery electric has recieved a contract to convert some 100 late model linehaul trucks to BE for a large fleet ...........the persistant high price of diesel ($8/USgallon) ,and the new green tinged Labor government no small part of the reasoning.........However ,IMHO , conventional trucks with conventional drivelines does not seem to make a very efficient BE,when the obvious way is individual wheel motors.

I always liked the old CoupleGear idea of one motor driving opposite wheels via rotating armature and rotating field frame.
Way too complicated, simply put a motor on each wheel, and do the differential work with the VFD.
You get wheel slip control as well.

Poorly run companies are nothing new.
Rivian is selling hundred grand pickups as fast as they can make em. A guy I know was showing off his new one on Saturday in town, and there was another one parked down the block. I see one almost every weekend when the tourists go on their sunday drives. They sold 20,000 last year, and 10,000 in the first quarter of 23. I just think that lordstown plant has bad vibes, and Endurance was basically a scam all along. Somebody walked with a lot of money.

I know this stuff is expensive but these tech companies seem to burn through billions and not produce all that much.
Lordstown has always been a fraud. Any time you have genuine development going on in a new area, you also get loud me-too fraudsters. Pets.com had no business plan, but that doesn't mean the whole internet shopping thing is gonna fizzle any time soon.

The company here converting old diesel highway trucks to battery electric has recieved a contract to convert some 100 late model linehaul trucks to BE for a large fleet ...........the persistant high price of diesel ($8/USgallon) ,and the new green tinged Labor government no small part of the reasoning.........However ,IMHO , conventional trucks with conventional drivelines does not seem to make a very efficient BE,when the obvious way is individual wheel motors.

Actually, I saw a review of a CJ type Jeep (new, whatever call letters they are using these days) that was traditional all the way up to the flywheel, and from there fwd was just a big motor replacing an engine, and they said that it was a great ride. Not seen anything since then. (1 yr? Maybe a bit more?)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You gotta walk before you can run.
You got $100 billion to finance a whole new truck design ?
FORD spent $16b to convert a single plant over to the new aluminum bodies. Then they changed over a few more.....

Actually, I saw a review of a CJ type Jeep (new, whatever call letters they are using these days) that was traditional all the way up to the flywheel, and from there fwd was just a big motor replacing an engine, and they said that it was a great ride. Not seen anything since then. (1 yr? Maybe a bit more?)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Jeep is selling a hybrid wrangler and grand wagoneer now, with little 2 liter gas engines as well as electric motors. Next year there will be all electric jeep recons.

The BE linehaul trucks are to work on a standardized battery system good for 400km towing doubles .......the quoted price with one battery swap startup is $200 per swap.

I may be wrong but I believe some companies are selling brand new trucks with no engine or transmissions. Designed for folks to install their old pre smog engines and non computerized transmissions.
Bill D

I may be wrong but I believe some companies are selling brand new trucks with no engine or transmissions. Designed for folks to install their old pre smog engines and non computerized transmissions.
Bill D
They are called glider kits. If you do it right, you also can run with a paper log.

In California the smog laws for cars say the smog laws that apply are based on the year of car or the engine. Which ever is newer. Not that we have inspections for cars older then 1975. So put a new corvette engine in a model T Ford and you are supposed to meet corvette 2023 smog laws. Of course the DMV has no way of knowing you did the change.
Bill D

Mack used to be big in the glider kits ,never seen any other brand .......you got a new chassis ,cab ,and front axle for an R model with fiberglass hood .....about $12k back in the day......Big selling point was all the old B models about ,except for the cab ,just about the same......even seen a few NRs rejigged as R models ......and a few surprised buyers ,too.

Brothers friend had an MG new enough to need smog stuff on the engine. He bought a wrecked older model and switched VIN plates. No real differences except smog stuff on the engine.
Bill D

Reactions: Ox

Back