What's new
What's new

lost a couple of parts to a 9a

randysoo

Plastic
I bought a pretty beat up 9a this spring, and I've been slowly tearing it down and cleaning and painting it. I've been reading and lurking to get as much info as I can retain over the months, but in reassembling the apron and saddle I've lost my saddle lock, and the retaining ring for the hand wheel pinion. If anyone out there has either for sale please contact me.

Randy

johansen

Stainless
Saddle lock... Consider moving it to the left hand side of the apron, especially if you are not going to rescrape the apron and grind the ways. It's just a plate with three raised areas for contact. There is room you could build a different kind of lock, actuated by something sticking out of the front of the apron which would be safer to use.

The reason I say this is because when you lock the carriage, it will lift the left side of the carriage up, unless everythig is perfectly flat. turning it into a tuning fork. Most of the time your tools are to the left of the compound slide.

randysoo

Plastic
thanks for the advice. but, I'm not trying to build a better mouse trap. I'm trying to figure out the one I've got

randysoo

Plastic
I made a pinion retaining ring from an old wire key ring. does anyone have the dimensions for the saddle lock?

randysoo

Plastic
I was able to find a picture online. from there I made one from 3/8" bar stock. the original piece is 1/2" but I didn't have any around. luckily the dimensions aren't too critical so I was able to cobb this together with a 5" grinder with a cutoff wheel and a drill press

Attachments

• IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 10