What's new

Low fat diet a big fat lie ?

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 37
  • Views 4,186
Well, I've lost about 40 pounds since September 2001. All I did was cut out
majority of carbohydrates from my diet.
Remember, we were designed to eat meat, fat, and vegetables. We were not designed to eat complex carbohydrates. The epidemic of obesity in our society parallels the invention of high carbohydrate processed foods and the government telling us we should eat them. A candy bar = a pizza = a donut. They're all complex carbohydrates. Starches are not good for you. Amazing how some sheeple will believe anything the government tells them regardless of the proven facts. Also, thin does NOT equal healthy, any more than obese does.

For what its worth I have followed dozens of patients on low carbohydrate diets for the past 15 years. As strange as it may seem the low carbohydrate, high protein, high fat diet(Atkins diet) lowers LDL cholesterol. The diet is also at least as good as most other diets in terms of weight loss. So much for the "science of nutrition". It should be noted that the effect(weight loss) of most diets are gone within a couple of years. Put in perspective, approximately 5% of lung cancer patients survive 5 yrs which is about the percentage of dieters who maintain their weight loss for 5 yrs.

Regards,
Ed

Ed, did you read the (below) paragraph in the article regarding the 5 percent statistic ? If so, please comment further on the dieting sucess rate figures.
Thanks,
Don

"What's more, the number of misconceptions propagated about
the most basic research can be staggering. Researchers will
be suitably scientific describing the limitations of their
own experiments, and then will cite something as gospel
truth because they read it in a magazine. The classic
example is the statement heard repeatedly that 95 percent
of all dieters never lose weight, and 95 percent of those
who do will not keep it off. This will be correctly
attributed to the University of Pennsylvania psychiatrist
Albert Stunkard, but it will go unmentioned that this
statement is based on 100 patients who passed through
Stunkard's obesity clinic during the Eisenhower
administration"

I have lost 40 pounds on Atkins and kept it off the last year with ease.

The fallacy is that Atkins is high fat. It doesn't have to be. Fat is just irrelevent.It is a high fiber low carb diet(Carbs as fiber doesn't count against the days limit)

You can have plenty of green vegetables, fish, chicken ect. Just avoid starches and suger. Kinda like diets from before the 70's.

Don most of the data that I've developed with hundreds of patients indicates that getting weight off is the easy part. The problem is keeping if off. All of the published data as well as my clinical experience substantiates the difficulty of keeping weight off. I wouldn't argue percentages, e.g., 3% vs 8%, but I believe that the data will show that in practice the numbers are in that range. As far as statistics are concerned never forget that 83% of them are generated on the spot.

As far as fat is concerned: If you follow the Atkins diet you will end up with a diet in which a large percentage of the calories are derived from fats... BUT as I indicated above it doesn't seem to make any difference, i.e., the LDL cholesteral decreases!!! For that matter if you never eat another fat you will only decrease your total cholesteral about 10%.

I am not arguing for poor dietary habits I'm just pointing out that much of the dogma associated with nutrition is not supported with good science.

Bona Petit
Ed

Over the years, I've tried various diets, and some have worked for a time, but at age 53, I find myself at 320 pounds at 5-6 with a number of weight related health problems.

I'm taking a bit more drastic measure. On July 29, I'm going to have weight loss surgery, so I'll be off list for a few days. For those of you that may be interested, my surgeon's website is http://www.pacificsurgery.com

I'm willing to share more details to anyone who wants to contact me by email at [email protected]

I would appreciate it if you keep me in your thoughts and prayers,

grace & peace
will

Good luck with that Will, sounds like the best option for your situation.

It is a bit surprising that we haven't figured out by now how to alter the metabolism of the body via drugs(at least not without very negative side effects...taking extra thyroid supplements, for example) but I suspect it will happen in a decade or so, perhaps via gene therapy.

FWIW
I had my surgery last Monday and am doing well. Came home on Thursday noon and have been living in my recliner with occasional walks.

I'm probably feeling better than I have any right to be and hope to be making chips sometime soon. I'll be off my paying job for 6-8 weeks , but have a good disability program, so I can stay home untill I'm really ready to do a day at the office.

grace & peace
will

I listened to a show several years ago and the physcologist was talking about eating. He said eating 3 meals a day was nothing but a social habit! He said humans only needed to eat a meal once every two or three days!!! I could never convince my stomach of that, it would never get past a day for sure!
Ben

Eating once every day or two is the exact opposite of my impression of the optimum food schedule. It's my impression that it's better from a weight maintenance standpoint to eat small doses of healthy snacks whenever you're the least bit hungry, thus leading to eating smaller meals, as you're not so hungry. I suspect even the caveman snacked on seeds and berries during the hunts for meat.

Just a quick update.

I went back to work 6.5 weeks after the surgery. I am now a bit over 7 weeks out and have lost 51 pounds and seem to have gained muscle mass. I'm eating very small meals (I have a stomach the size of a banana.) and concentrating on protein.

I have much more energy than before and have been exercising regularly. I can move in ways that I couldn't before. My diabetes is in remission; I have normal blood sugar. My blood pressure has dropped enough that my doctor has reduced my blood pressure meds.

If you have any questions about the surgery I had, feel free to drop me a note.

grace & peace

will

Back