What's new
What's new

Low voltage alarm with correct voltage?

Stang Bladeworks

Aluminum
Hi,

A couple times now my mini mill has shut itself down because of low incoming ac voltage. This is something that has happened in the last couple months. Before that, in the 2 years I owned it this was never an issue.

Unfortunately I didn’t check the diagnostic before as this was never an issue. Now when I check it, usually it sits around 90-93 percent nominal. I initially assumed there may be a voltage drop issue at my shop or a weak utility feed. I did measure the voltage right at the machine and it is getting the full 240v.

Best I can interpret the nameplate that is not low at all and should probably read 100 percent. Sometimes when my shop load gets a bit higher (compressor, kilns, tumbler, etc.) it will shut down the machine.

All of these measurements were taken with no other load present whatsoever. It’s not uncommon for the servos to limit to 75 percent because of voltage even when just the compressor kicks on.

Is there something up with the voltage monitoring circuit? Am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

A389F025-9C64-409E-B665-5123867BCFBB.jpeg15769681-CDB2-426A-83B8-B565FEE8D106.jpeg2F240DE9-C057-428E-8985-6B499FB07693.jpeg

sounds interesting we have 4 Haas vf2ss each running 220 at the same time
I think we have completely separate breakers for each machine.
As of It only became a problem recently I don't know.
Are you sure that the power is there when it errors out wondering if the sensor might be faulty?

are you noticing any power problems with the rest of the shop?
still new to this type of stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt.

sounds interesting we have 4 Haas vf2ss each running 220 at the same time
I think we have completely separate breakers for each machine.
As of It only became a problem recently I don't know.
Are you sure that the power is there when it errors out wondering if the sensor might be faulty?

are you noticing any power problems with the rest of the shop?
still new to this type of stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't noticed any other power issues. That being said, none of my other equipment has this level of monitoring.

Hey folks. Spring cometh! Tired of Winter here in MI.
LTHW, Mind a question? What year is this unit. wondering which version of the Vector drive you have. A few things from mine that I've figured out. There is some circuitry involved that monitors (actually compares) against some reference developed voltages. There is a specific IC that's known to be part of this issue. And there are posts about the HVDC voltage output from the unit and how that's sometimes related. I don't have my laptop w/ all my notes but I think it may be something to check. MagnoG also has advised some folks in the past about checking the input taps and hookups being correct. incorrect hookups, and heat gen can be easy to overlook. How much heat is there in the rear cabinet? Other posts went on for a long time in the day about the cooling fans on the Vector unit which go bad and cause premature issues/failures. They spinning well? Some good info can be found here:

Of course there is a ton of good material in history here if you can get the search right. sometimes it'll be fussy... but I find a lot or good info in PM archives. And them-thar c of the en c zone place archives lol.

shout back if you do get it figured out.

Back