What's new
What's new

Machine install/how creative can riggers get?

ngng

Aluminum
Hello all, long time reader. I am cross shopping for my first machine and am comparing various dimensions. I'm wondering when a machine is placed on a forklift by the riggers, do the have freedom for how to pick the machine up?

I plan on placing the machine in the back of my shop, no issue there. The problem is I have a two post lift in the front near the bay door. Trying to determine if I will need to uninstall the lift for the CNC install. The width between the posts is 108". There are lift arms on each side which are 5.5" each which would allow something < 97" to pass through. Once they clear the post would they be able to rotate the machine 90 degrees? I have a mez which would make it difficult for a forklift to rotate.

Standing where the machine would be placed, looking at the bay door with the lift:
PXL_20220929_035449735.MP.jpg

This looks to be an everyday routine skate job for any rigger I’ve worked with. If your lift has the cross connection on the floor it only adds a tiny bit of extra work to pass over that. It the cross connection is overhead and the machine you choose fits between the uprights with an inch or more to spare then it’s easy.

that's a skate job, not forklift.

Why are you asking this if you are hiring riggers? They will come out and bid the job. Its not like you have anything to do with how they do their job

I've already reached out to a few different companies and am awaiting a response. Figured a bunch of people who have been here and done this before would be able to provide some insight.

This looks to be an everyday routine skate job for any rigger I’ve worked with. If your lift has the cross connection on the floor it only adds a tiny bit of extra work to pass over that. It the cross connection is overhead and the machine you choose fits between the uprights with an inch or more to spare then it’s easy.

Thank you. I assumed it was well within their day to day. Lift has nothing on the floor, just the top. Like I said, worst case I pull the lift out. But, I don't really want to do that :)

We rigged my Okuma 460-5ax through a 2 post lift like that. It fit with an inch of space. Probably cost me a bit of rigger time but wasn't really an issue. Just double check all the measurements.

if the floor is clean and flat you can roll it easily. but all depends on the machine width. couldn't do that with mine as the machine was 10 ft wide and hoist was only 104 max.

We rigged my Okuma 460-5ax through a 2 post lift like that. It fit with an inch of space. Probably cost me a bit of rigger time but wasn't really an issue. Just double check all the measurements.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've got more than an inch to spare, so I feel better about it. The stated 95A max draw for my 100A panel is another story :)

if the floor is clean and flat you can roll it easily. but all depends on the machine width. couldn't do that with mine as the machine was 10 ft wide and hoist was only 104 max.

Generally flat-ish. Small section between the two slabs that has chipped away

Thanks! Trying to buy a machine and keep the car. We'll see how it works out. Riggers came out today and said they could just scoot the machine through the lift. No biggie.
Very few 07s in that color. 47? I also have a froggy, one of the first handfuls to come in to the country. Kermit. Have a Lizard too. Sad, but my Kermit has been up on a storage lift in my garage since 2019. Good luck with your machine.

Very few 07s in that color. 47? I also have a froggy, one of the first handfuls to come in to the country. Kermit. Have a Lizard too. Sad, but my Kermit has been up on a storage lift in my garage since 2019. Good luck with your machine.

Signal Green repaint. If they don't make what you want, make it yourself! Nice, do you have the Sharkwerks Kermit? I'm over on Rennlist too

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've got more than an inch to spare, so I feel better about it. The stated 95A max draw for my 100A panel is another story :)

It's incredibly unlikely that you'll be pulling anywhere near the max draw for much of the time. A max power cut (pegging the spindle while pegging all the servos) on a machine that's at least 30hp is a rare, rare cut. Typically the tool, the part, the surface finish needs or the ability to clear chips will give up first. It's not like an oven where if they say 100 amps they mean 100 amps for the 2 hours it takes to heat up.

It's incredibly unlikely that you'll be pulling anywhere near the max draw for much of the time. A max power cut (pegging the spindle while pegging all the servos) on a machine that's at least 30hp is a rare, rare cut. Typically the tool, the part, the surface finish needs or the ability to clear chips will give up first. It's not like an oven where if they say 100 amps they mean 100 amps for the 2 hours it takes to heat up.

I'm just going off what I see in spec sheet, but good to know. I did the math and on paper I shouldn't have any problems, but I just need to be aware of what I am doing in the shop if the machine is running. I'm also 100% that I will not be running this machine full tilt anyways.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 13.28.08.png

Signal Green repaint. If they don't make what you want, make it yourself! Nice, do you have the Sharkwerks Kermit? I'm over on Rennlist too
Sharkwerks tune and lots of suspension mods. Car is set up for autocross and saw about 35 events per season from 06 to 16. Got a closet full of Season Class win jackets. FTD at most events too. Track rat now with the Lizard.

About the only way to pull full amps would be hogging aluminum. Max RPM and max feed rates. But just my guess. You need to evacuate a lot of soggy chips in a short time.

Back