What's new
What's new

Machine shop auction by the family of the late Ken McCratic (Avid PM'r)

dinotom

Aluminum
I don't know who among us knew Ken well. I had a month or so where we conversed regularly as he was fabricating some parts for me in return for some grinders and drill sharpening machines that I gave him.

Some of you may not know, Ken passed away from a heart attack while picking up a machine he won in an auction. Ken had an awesome workshop, and he had a lot of fantastic machines and tools. His wife graciously contacted me to let me know about the auction of everything in his shop(s). I agreed to let everyone on PM know the details.

The auction begins on the 20th of April.
The site hosting the auction is HOME | eagleauction.
The auction title is: Metal Fabricating Equipment, Tools, Forklifts, Tractor

Peruse the site, you will see some nice items. hopefully too many of you won't be bidding against me on some things (LOL)

P.S. Cal, would you please pin this to the top until the auction has passed?

Last edited:
I don't know who among us knew Ken well. I had a month or so where we conversed regularly as he was fabricating some parts for me in return for some grinders and drill sharpening machines that I gave him.

Some of you may not know, Ken passed away from a heart attack while picking up a machine he won in an auction. Ken had an awesome workshop, and he had a lot of fantastic machines and tools. His wife graciously contacted me to let me know about the auction of everything in his shop(s). I agreed to let everyone on PM know the details.

The auction is being held on the 14th of April.
The site hosting the auction is HOME | eagleauction.
The auction title is: Metal Fabricating Equipment, Tools, Forklifts, Tractor

Peruse the site, you will see some nice items. hopefully too many of you won't be bidding against me on some things (LOL)

P.S. Cal, would you please pin this to the top until the auction has passed?
It does not look like the auction is the 14th (per the auction info page). Remind me when the auction is about a week away and I'll pin it.

Ken's Practical Machinist handle was Mac007. I couldn't find any sort of obituary online. Tom, I you have a link to one, please post it.

The auction is online only, April 20 to May 5, with a preview April 19th. Here's the auction info page: link
There are 517 lots. Here is the lot index page (about 25 lots per page): link

Included in the auction is a Monarch 10EE, originally a Modular drive machine, unknown if the drive has been changed:
Lot 11. Monarch Precision Tool Room Lathe, 460 Volt, 3 Phase, with Acurite DRO with parts, DC Convertor included, Size 10 x 20, Specs 12 1/2” swing, Serial #50008, Model #EE, Wt:3450 lbs., Included: Collett Closure, 4 Jaw Chuck, 3 Jaw Chuck, 2 Face Plates, Has Manuals & Blueprints for the Monarch Machine

Monarch 10EE tooling cabinet; turntable and collets
Lot 174. Cabinet
Lot 200. 32 Harding Collets – USA & 6 Collets (No Brand)

Most of the machine tools are in the first two groups of lots. He had a lot of heavy iron, including a nice looking Hendy 20x78 lathe. If you're local (Albany, KY 42602), there's a huge amount of tooling, hand tools, metal, etc.

Cal

Monarch 10EE tooling cabinet; turntable and collets
Lot 174. Cabinet
Lot 200. 32 Harding Collets – USA & 6 Collets (No Brand)
[/INDENT]

Cal

Good eye Cal, that tool cabinet is just listed as "cabinet". And the round collet holder in the collet listing surely is the turnstile that goes in the top of that cabinet.

69.jpg

The 10% auction fee is better than the 18% I see pretty regular. I don't see mention of rigging and/or loading.

Thanks Cal. Her email to me said the 14th, but that was a few weeks ago. I waited a while to post this since it was more than a month away at that time. They must've moved the auction date. I'll change my original post.

Never met the man but at a quick glance it looks like a man of many talents and interests, and a very nicely sized shop building.

I'm guessing a taller fellow by placing the lathes up on riser blocks and the large framed bikes. I find myself doing the same things with machines.

The lathe is up on blocks because at the time of Ken's passing because he was making 5 sets of lathe feet for a 10EE, two for himself as he was hunting for a 30", one for me and two for whomever else he came across that needed them.

Ken, as a hobby, had a side gig where he made tow trailers.

It does not look like the auction is the 14th (per the auction info page). Remind me when the auction is about a week away and I'll pin it.

Ken's Practical Machinist handle was Mac007. I couldn't find any sort of obituary online. Tom, I you have a link to one, please post it.

The auction is online only, April 20 to May 5, with a preview April 19th. Here's the auction info page: link
There are 517 lots. Here is the lot index page (about 25 lots per page): link

Included in the auction is a Monarch 10EE, originally a Modular drive machine, unknown if the drive has been changed:
Lot 11. Monarch Precision Tool Room Lathe, 460 Volt, 3 Phase, with Acurite DRO with parts, DC Convertor included, Size 10 x 20, Specs 12 1/2” swing, Serial #50008, Model #EE, Wt:3450 lbs., Included: Collett Closure, 4 Jaw Chuck, 3 Jaw Chuck, 2 Face Plates, Has Manuals & Blueprints for the Monarch Machine​
Monarch 10EE tooling cabinet; turntable and collets​
Lot 174. Cabinet​
Lot 200. 32 Harding Collets – USA & 6 Collets (No Brand)​

Most of the machine tools are in the first two groups of lots. He had a lot of heavy iron, including a nice looking Hendy 20x78 lathe. If you're local (Albany, KY 42602), there's a huge amount of tooling, hand tools, metal, etc.

Cal
Thank you! I purchased the cabinet but did not get the rotational plate for the collets. Can anyone take some pictures or dimensions? Has the center post (looks like a bearing) but nothing else.

TIA
Mick

It should have a spider leg bearing "lazy susan" type thing. The platter that holds (usually 35 2J collets) is about a 1/2" thick MDF, and alittle shy of 21" dia, just enough to clear the front of the removable panel.

Back