What's new
What's new

Machine Stops Mid Cycle

Steve Geth

Aluminum
Hello,
I have been trying to machine side 2 of a part designed and programmed in Fusion. Side 1 runs without an issue, but side 2 runs to the same point and stops with a "Z Soft Limit Overrun" Physically, the Z axis is nowhere near its limits. I have triple checked the setup and don't see anything wrong. I posted on the Autodesk Forum and after review of the PP and specific part file, they see nothing wrong with the code. Due to being a beginner with limited knowledge, I am stuck. I m posting a few photos at the machine in hopes of someone seeing something wrong, or suggest something to check.

Thank you,

Steve

Attachments

• 0 Offset Table.jpg
    0 Offset Table.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 23
  • DRO Screen.jpg
    DRO Screen.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Tool at Material Top.jpg
    Tool at Material Top.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Tool Calibration Screen.jpg
    Tool Calibration Screen.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Z Soft Limit Overrun.jpg
    Z Soft Limit Overrun.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Z Qiuill Height.jpg
    Z Qiuill Height.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 26
Z limit overrun is probably being triggered by the look ahead. In other words it sees a over run coming further along in the program not at the current. cutter position.

Z limit overrun is probably being triggered by the look ahead. In other words it sees a over run coming further along in the program not at the current. cutter position.
I did think of that. Looking at the block referenced at the fail, it is the safe retract of.400, but as you suggested, it is stopping significantly before that point. There are still two complete passes around the perimeter of the part to get to size, but the error references the end of the block prior to the next profile. Thanks..

No problem. On really small programs they won’t even start which can be confusing if you aren’t familiar with the problem.

I did think of that. Looking at the block referenced at the fail, it is the safe retract of.400, but as you suggested, it is stopping significantly before that point. There are still two complete passes around the perimeter of the part to get to size, but the error references the end of the block prior to the next profile. Thanks..
Steve,

Set the VERTICAL Leadin to 0in. and see if the code will then run completely.

Fred

HI Again Fred,

You get extra credit for posting the solution on two forums :) I wish I understood the reasoning behind the solution.

Thanks,

Steve

HI Again Fred,

You get extra credit for posting the solution on two forums :) I wish I understood the reasoning behind the solution.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve,

I can not tell you exactly why it happens, but it has to do with the G-codes for plane switching (G17,G18,G19). The Fagor (and other controls such as our Fadals) sometimes have problems with the switch.

What I will suggest in the future is this - make 0in. the default for all those vertical leadins. When tool paths start to cut, spiraling in, or ramping in, just about any approach really makes the vertical leading unnecessary (in my opinion). If you dig deep into the Fagor manuals, you may find the 'secret handshake' needed code wise to make the transition from one cutting plane to another, but I prefer to eliminate the whole headache by just setting those leading to 0.

Fred

HI Fred,

If you aren't exactly sure what causes this, I am not going to worry about for now. I will simply set the vertical lead in to 0. Thanks Again.. :reading:

Back