What's new
What's new

Machine Suggestions for Medium Sized Turning

CarbideCarGuy

Plastic
Good morning fellow machiners,

Today I ask for your suggestions.
We are looking to take on a job that's Big diameter turning. I put medium in the title because for some of you, big turning is REALLY big. We will be machining about 6"-8" diameter, 2 feet long or slightly more, Inconel and/or tungsten. Boring about 2 feet deep, OD holes on an angle (so live tooling), OD/ID threading, etc. I would like to sink it into the the jaws to make some features but I don't know of any machines with a through bore that big. That's why I'm here. I was looking at Mazak or DMG Mori but what do I know, maybe there's something better or a model I don't know about.

If you had a reasonable budget to buy the perfect machine to make this part, What would you recommend? Must be brand new, not used or older models and obviously CNC. Thanks!

Boring 2 feet deep at what diameter?

Boring creates a whole different problem since now that 300+ bar is either hanging free from the chuck or requires a steady rest.

Oh, shoot beat me to it.....

Sink it into the spindle? 8" diameter? I didn't realize that was a common option.

As far as a boring bar, I have done 24" deep and even anti vibe bars are no guarantee.

Boring 2 feet deep at what diameter?

Boring creates a whole different problem since now that 300+ bar is either hanging free from the chuck or requires a steady rest.

Oh, shoot beat me to it.....

Sink it into the spindle? 8" diameter? I didn't realize that was a common option.

As far as a boring bar, I have done 24" deep and even anti vibe bars are no guarantee.
Boring 2 feet deep at about 6" diameter. It's a new part that we are just looking at to see if we can even make it or not so things keep changing.

I don't know if a 8" diameter through bar is common but i've definitely seen them around on HUGE machines. I'd like something, not huge but still can sink it deep... if it exists

I would want a flat bed style lathe for that type of boring. You’ll want a serious lump of steel to mount your boring bar into.
Geminis makes some interesting machines.

A VTL might also be the ticket, Giddings and Lewis offers them with a tool changer for live tools.

Seems like a fun project.

Good morning fellow machiners,

Today I ask for your suggestions.
We are looking to take on a job that's Big diameter turning. I put medium in the title because for some of you, big turning is REALLY big. We will be machining about 6"-8" diameter, 2 feet long or slightly more, Inconel and/or tungsten. Boring about 2 feet deep, OD holes on an angle (so live tooling), OD/ID threading, etc. I would like to sink it into the the jaws to make some features but I don't know of any machines with a through bore that big. That's why I'm here. I was looking at Mazak or DMG Mori but what do I know, maybe there's something better or a model I don't know about.

If you had a reasonable budget to buy the perfect machine to make this part, What would you recommend? Must be brand new, not used or older models and obviously CNC. Thanks!

I too wonder why you posted this in General?
You are looking for a big ass CNC lathe, but it's not a CNC question?

OK, so 8" bar with 6" hole?
Whole part is 2' long and has a through hole, or is this part longer than 2', but has a blind hole 2' deep?

When you say holes on angles = live tooling.
Are you saying that you would need a B axis - like an Integrex?

If you are OK with running it in a steady rest, you will be able to run it in a LOT smaller machine, even if it requires a long-bed version. I don't have much experience with using steady's tho, and my experience seems nothing like what I see done on the trade show floors with the new hydraulic steady's. TYhose seem to run much better!

OR, if you want to swallow the part, you will need a much bigger machine, with the likes of an A15 spindle nose.
Mine isn't new by any means, but I have one that has 8" through the chuck and 7" through the spindle. But from the tips of my jaws to the face of the spindle, an 8" bar would slide back 12", so that would be pretty good for a 2' long part.

My Bertha swallows _ most stuff that I run.

Some of that will depend on what type chuck actuation that you go with.
If you have a draw-tube, you will lose another inch prolly?
Other options would be a front actuated air chuck. Can be a little scary, but with a swallowed bar, not really dangerous.
Other option is scroll, like mine. I have a power wrench on mine, but IDK if anyone still builds anything with that offering anymore.

My big gurls are both Lodge and Shipley Profiturns. A 40 and a 50.
But machines like that are not new, nor would they be equipped with live tooling - unless you add it.

IDK if Yamazaki builds Integrex's with that large of a bore or not.
I know rthey go pretty big, but at the shows they are always running parts between centers and/or with the steady in place. They never show a machine deep throating a large bar.

IDK if Okuma makes anything that big either?

Willis makes some:

WFL is a big name in this size and kind:

But as you see, they don't list any bore sizes.
Likely there are a few options, and speed gets lower with every jump in bore size.

Just look at this one offered as used, this heaifer wouldn't swallow your bar either.

Look up Bardons and Oliver. They are in the big bore business, but they normally hang around the large tubing market.

So, if your part is only 2' long, that 165 bore machine could maybe work - if your chuck stuck out a bit.
(like mine)

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What about a vtl?
I don't have much experience with VLT machines. What makes them best suited for this type of job?

I too wonder why you posted this in General?
You are looking for a big ass CNC lathe, but it's not a CNC question?
I posted my justification in a previous reply. I just didn't think it was a CNC specific question. Not like I needed help with servos or programming or anything that makes a machine CNC. It's just a general question about choosing a machine that happens to be CNC.
OK, so 8" bar with 6" hole?
Whole part is 2' long and has a through hole, or is this part longer than 2', but has a blind hole 2' deep?
I dont have the drawing yet. I think the OD is 8" with a 6" blind hole, about 2 feet deep. The part is slightly longer... think, massive projectile, maybe something that would be launched very fast and very far.
When you say holes on angles = live tooling.
Are you saying that you would need a B axis - like an Integrex?
I didn't have that in mind but after looking into it, yes, that would be perfect. The hole is in line with the spindle axis but is angled on the A axis according to this diagram.
1684500406296.png
If you are OK with running it in a steady rest, you will be able to run it in a LOT smaller machine, even if it requires a long-bed version. I don't have much experience with using steady's tho, and my experience seems nothing like what I see done on the trade show floors with the new hydraulic steady's. TYhose seem to run much better!

OR, if you want to swallow the part, you will need a much bigger machine, with the likes of an A15 spindle nose.
Mine isn't new by any means, but I have one that has 8" through the chuck and 7" through the spindle. But from the tips of my jaws to the face of the spindle, an 8" bar would slide back 12", so that would be pretty good for a 2' long part.

My Bertha swallows _ most stuff that I run.
I'm ok with a steady rest, but it will make setup times longer, i thought swallowing the part would be more efficient. I don't mind either way, if it makes sense then i'll do it.
Some of that will depend on what type chuck actuation that you go with.
If you have a draw-tube, you will lose another inch prolly?
Other options would be a front actuated air chuck. Can be a little scary, but with a swallowed bar, not really dangerous.
Other option is scroll, like mine. I have a power wrench on mine, but IDK if anyone still builds anything with that offering anymore.

My big gurls are both Lodge and Shipley Profiturns. A 40 and a 50.
But machines like that are not new, nor would they be equipped with live tooling - unless you add it.

IDK if Yamazaki builds Integrex's with that large of a bore or not.
I know rthey go pretty big, but at the shows they are always running parts between centers and/or with the steady in place. They never show a machine deep throating a large bar.

IDK if Okuma makes anything that big either?

Willis makes some:

WFL is a big name in this size and kind:

But as you see, they don't list any bore sizes.
Likely there are a few options, and speed gets lower with every jump in bore size.

Just look at this one offered as used, this heaifer wouldn't swallow your bar either.

Look up Bardons and Oliver. They are in the big bore business, but they normally hang around the large tubing market.

So, if your part is only 2' long, that 165 bore machine could maybe work - if your chuck stuck out a bit.
(like mine)

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I will look into everything you sent linked and talked about. It seems the big bore is going to be hard to find so stead rest might be the way to go. My boss really likes DN for whatever reason so I feel like he's going to make a biased decision for a DN with a steady rest. I'm really just trying to make it more efficient but also easier for me to load and unload these 80+lbs of steel into the machine.
It seems a couple people mentioned a VLT so I will also look into that but those machines seem huge. I would love to tour a shop that is actually making these to get ideas of what they're doing and we we could do better with a newer or better equipped machine.

A VTL is the absolute worst option, and almost impossible for your app.
Drop that thought like a lead zepplin.
Now an "inverted" vertical - sure!
Not heard of one in your size range tho, and wouldn't have much resale.

Since you are thinking "new", then you can likely get a bore large enough.
Historically "Oil Field" lathes are optioned to 12" bores.
12" was an option for my L&S's even back in the day.

But be aware, the lathe that you think that you want will not give you much change from a 7 digit bill.
(if any)

And you are looking for a B axis lathe, not A.
IDK where you got that drawing, but that is not what the industry calls B axis on a lathe.

Unless you have a government budget and have no care of ever making a profit, you may be better suited to buy an older oil field lathe that has been retrofitted to a newer control, and bore your part out on that.

Then move the blank on over to a mill with a 4th axis and a tilting head. I guess that would be a 5x mill, but not in what the current 5x market is normally configured as. I know that someone makes this type mill for profiling intake runners and such. Kan't think the name right now tho.

Or just go with the biggest Integrex that you can find and run a steady.
(Which will still take most of your 7 digit bill)

And besides, your blanks will be WAY over 100#!
Your finished will likely be well over 100# as well.
Not sure what Inconel weighs/cu", but ....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
This doesn't seem weird or rare to me at all, the part description and size seems pretty typical here in the oil patch. For the deep boring and turning I'd want a Mazak slant 550, the DN (doosan) big lathes are also well respected and heavily used around here too. The problem is the angled holes. I wouldn't expect good results hanging a 2' boring bar off the live tool head on an integrex. We used to do this kind of big work in a slant 550m, our M5 and our qt-450. Angled holes were done in a large vmc with fixtures or a bridgeport.
If it all must be don't in one set up I'd be looking at a weiler E70HD and they will design and install milling attachments for you for your milled features. For a straight lathe expect a cost of entry of around $500k.

I will also add that a smaller lathe with a steady rest is very much not ideal for deep boring. For one you would need a very long bed (part length + boring bar length) secondly always think of boring bars a levers. The longer the bar the more force it will exert on it's attachment point. You need a big lathe with a lot of mass to get good results on deep bores.

This doesn't seem weird or rare to me at all, the part description and size seems pretty typical here in the oil patch. For the deep boring and turning I'd want a Mazak slant 550, the DN (doosan) big lathes are also well respected and heavily used around here too. The problem is the angled holes. I wouldn't expect good results hanging a 2' boring bar off the live tool head on an integrex. We used to do this kind of big work in a slant 550m, our M5 and our qt-450. Angled holes were done in a large vmc with fixtures or a bridgeport.
If it all must be don't in one set up I'd be looking at a weiler E70HD and they will design and install milling attachments for you for your milled features. For a straight lathe expect a cost of entry of around $500k.

I wouldn't think the length here to be prohibative?

I too would think that a 2' long bar off the revolving head of an Integrex would seem a massive application, but don't those heads actually lock into position? I have never ran one. But I will say - that it seems like a swell way to crash an expensive machine if you ran that bar up on the head!

IDK how Inconel cuts, but I would think that you would want a 3" bar at min, and most likely a 4" bar.
I would think that _ that tool could be ran off the lower turret? And the drill as well?

A Bridgeport is absolutely a good option for that as well! 30 yrs ago I had a Series II Special with a 4th axis (20" Troyke) and it absolutely would have drilled the holes in this. Well, I guess we don't know what the hole specs are. That bridgeport may not want to tap 1.25" NPTF holes in Inconel, so ... But you would want a Series 2 base, regardless of what upper half you get.

A good option for you might be to talk with a rebuilder. There is a rebuilder down in Oklahoma City (I think?) that specializes in large equipment, and they may be able to set you up with something as well. I can't think the name right now. They may advertise on machinetools.com., but I'm not sure. I would look for them on surplusrecord.com. I think that's where I have seen them.

Oh heck, I just googled them:
www.daniluk.com

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back