What's new
What's new

Machine tool manuals in other languages... I just translated 268 pages from Czech !

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Google Translate can translate entire PDF files ... I had no idea this was possible ! And the Czech to English translation is amazingly accurate and just as clear type as original. In my case the programming manual for a CNC cylindrical grinder made in Switzerland where I might otherwise have to wait a week or more (and pay $$) just to get the manual in English. Keyword (and alarm number) searches work too ! Tip for the day ! :cheers:

Kudos to Google Translate, but it's an interesting collection of factors. A Swiss machine with a manual in Czech, and you know enough Czech to be assured of the accuracy of translation. I'd have to say its all Greek to me.

Google Translate can translate entire PDF files ... I had no idea this was possible ! And the Czech to English translation is amazingly accurate and just as clear type as original. In my case the programming manual for a CNC cylindrical grinder made in Switzerland where I might otherwise have to wait a week or more (and pay $$) just to get the manual in English. Keyword (and alarm number) searches work too ! Tip for the day ! :cheers:

Wonder if they can translate Hyundai manuals from Korenglish to English.

So if I waned to do this I would photograph each page and upload it and then turn it into a PDF and then Google translated went through and did all the pages. Did you have to load each of the of the pages individually?

Speaking of Swiss tools, I have the English manual for a Swiss Tesa Microhite that I find incredibly hard to understand. Can google translate do anything about that?

Somewhere along the way they decided cryptic symbols were better than words.

The weird thing is that the Mitutoyo and Mahr height gages I have used gages seem to have copied a lot of the keypad layout and manual style.

Just make sure your PDF isn't a "scanned" PDF. Google Translate won't work for those. You're stuck with copying/pasting text if you've got one of that style.

No I got the Czech manual off the web already in pdf format. If you want to translate printed material I would cut the binding and auto feed thru double side scanner to create a pdf
(although what eK just said infers that wouldn’t work ! ?)

I just did some googling on the "scanned" pdf situation. If you can use OCR software it looks like you can convert the scanned file to something the great Google can machine translate. I've got to try that on my Czech grinder manual. Hopefully it will work...

Back