What's new
What's new

Machining School needs your knowledge and guidance.

Start kids on the Haas simulators, then the TL2 and Mini mills. Then level them up to maybe a Doosan LEO etc to get them used to FANUC. Everything is Fanuc. Haas is fanuc based anyways.

How many students do you have? Next, what are these companies willing to pay....

Also, you mention operators. They don't need to program. They just load parts. Tons of companies say "need programming ability" then they and up using students as organic auto loaders. No training needed. And those jobs are rapidly disappearing as companies automate. Generally companies need very few actual programmers
We hope to train more than parts loaders. Operating and programming both CNC Mill and Lathe. We also teach manual skills, shop math, safety and solidworks with mastercam.

Sir, Could you direct me to the thread you mentioned? I am interested in your e-book. Thank you
joe Parker
Here is sinha's thread, a lot of happy comments there, you may want to watch it for updates...

I think a good mill first project might be write a program for a vise made as the base, a traveling jaw with a in the bottom key, and as a lathe project the vise screw with handle..
Ok programs could mill/turn the parts of wood, aluminum or steel , and assemble for a nice keepsake.

trak machine tools can be programmed with CAM dependent on control. the newer ones for sure I have posted out of solidcam and fusion 360.

All the trak machines I have used can run G code. You have to save your programs as a .GCD and the way they apply G41 and G42 at least on the mills is different than most other controls. It applies cutter comp before the G41 line rather than during it and G40 cancels it after the event rather than during the G40 line.

look at page 140 (145 according to the PDF software)

Here is a different way for students to understand code, one that I have had apprentices do. Give them a simple program and have them make a cad drawing from it.
This is a wonderful idea.
If a large number of students are to be evaluated, this will take much less time.

Here is sinha's thread, a lot of happy comments there, you may want to watch it for updates...

Thank you for recommendation.

It may sound a bit arrogant, but if you are not reading my books, you are missing something, especially if you are new in the trade. In fact, even if you are experienced, you will quite possibly find something new in my books which are the outcome of my 25-year experience in this area.
Smid's books are also good, but my books are better for newer i-series controls. Read both and find out yourself. Moreover, I am available for discussion, in case there is any confusion.
And, my books are available for throw-away pricess, in case you missed free downloads. Even paperback prices are unbelievable -- 13 USD for a 400-page book.

Last edited:
Avoid teaching something or using equipment just because "you" are familiar with it. Follow industry trends. Just because you may like Heidenhain and hate Fanuc that is not a good reason to avoid the latter. In my case we started out with Anvil software and used it for both drafting and machining. I thought it was great, true 3D and ran on a 386 PC. But in our region, Autocad training was what employers wanted. We eventually switched to a combination of Catia and Autocad, both of which have been good for our students. When I last worked at the school, we were using Catia machinist for CNC programs. (I Thought once again that it was great as tool paths were automatically updated with model geometry modification, but I NEVER see Catia machinist mentioned on this forum). Since then the school has switched to Master cam which I believe is a far better choice. They used Gibbscam for a short time before going with Mastercam. And for basic manual machine shop training, having identical machines makes life easier for the instructor rather than the random mix of machines that i started with.

Back