What's new
What's new

Machining to sales

ChuckD128

Plastic
I want to get off the floor and start selling items (machining related) but I have no clue where to start at such a young age. I am young and full of energy and loving talking to people, I only have a technical certification and have been a Cnc machinist for only 3 years. I want to make a move to sales of some sort whether it be machines, tools or just a machine shop salesman. The company I work for now I have very little hope to move into a sales role as it’s a very specific field and most all of them were field engineers.

What could a salesman have offered you in your current job to make your life easier?
Let's say you are worth 10% commission, can you sell 10x that many to pay your wage?
Sales is more than talking, you have to close the deal.
Balls out, quit your job and take that proposition to the company that sells it.

I want to get off the floor and start selling items (machining related) but I have no clue where to start at such a young age. I am young and full of energy and loving talking to people, I only have a technical certification and have been a Cnc machinist for only 3 years. I want to make a move to sales of some sort whether it be machines, tools or just a machine shop salesman. The company I work for now I have very little hope to move into a sales role as it’s a very specific field and most all of them were field engineers.
My best friend is a salesman.He sells industrial process and control equipment. He says he needs 10 sales a month to make a living. To make a sale he needs to make 10 factory visits. To make a factory visit he needs to make 10 phone calls. 1000 calls a month, 990 rejections, 1000s of miles and dozens of hours driving.

He is happy, but that life is not for me. Is it for you?

CarlBoyd

Try the tool distributors-almost all of them are looking for salespeople with experience using the tools. Distributors for Sandvik, KM, Iscar- not many younger people doing it. On the MFG's websites look up the distributor in your area, give them a call, I'd be shocked if you didn't have a new job offer within 2 weeks.

Well, there you go! Look for people who sell tools. A counter job may be a good starting point, many local companies will have a walk-in and/or will call counter. This would get you into sales with a salary, not just a commission. And it will allow you to learn the things about sales that no one can teach you.

Your yellow pages is the place to start. And, in addition to the ones below, Grainger is another that comes to my mind. Also you could consider sales of component parts, like ball bearings. There is always a BB company around. But I would avoid the hardware chains, like Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You will wind up being a jack of all trades and master of none there.

Try the tool distributors-almost all of them are looking for salespeople with experience using the tools. Distributors for Sandvik, KM, Iscar- not many younger people doing it. On the MFG's websites look up the distributor in your area, give them a call, I'd be shocked if you didn't have a new job offer within 2 weeks.

Back