What's new
What's new

Macro to create a editable tool slot table

Tomahawkcnc

Plastic
I am writing a macro to create a tool slot assignment table so any tool can be used in any slot in the umbrella tool changer . At present I am using the Pcool position table variables on the offsets page which allows me to assign any tool to the carousel . The issue I have is that I dont have a Pcool installed and with the option turned on it errors when the G43 command is issued due to it not seeing the Pcool.
What I would like to do is use a VPS program to set the tool slot allocation or create a macro to create a editable table.

Any ideas on how to impliment it ?

Yes you can BUT the pcool position table is shown in offsets page so its a handy place to set the selected tools for the carousel slots . In the pic below I have set T11 -T19 to be in Slot 1-10 for testing .
So when T14 is called in Gcode it grabs the tool from Slot 4 ( but could be any slot assigned ) and assigns the proper G43 H14 . No playing with trying to change fusion tool numbers and make sure the H3 is matching.

On my hobby cnc I would just edit the screen to create a new variable table that is easily editable but in the HAAS you cant do that unless you can create a VPS template to do it - so far I havent worked out how to do that.

Attachments

• 445929757_743042137908611_4081341611178917907_n.jpg
    445929757_743042137908611_4081341611178917907_n.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 6
Why do you want to reassign the tool number? What does this gain you? The p-cool tables are limited to valid p-cool positions. I forget off the top of my head but, I believe it's limited to 1-16 or 1-32.

Only need 1-10 , thats how many slots are in my carousel .

I have done this to assign tool11 to slot1 in carousel for this particular job .
this allows my gcode to call M6T11 and it will grab the T11 from the slot1 in the carousel and assign a H11 , if I request say T2 which has no slot assigned , the machine will put T11 away in the slot 1 and then move and ask me to manually insert T2 , once done it will assign H2 .
Its how I believe a tool carousel should act - I have no idea why HAAS have done it the way the have limiting tools to only T1-T10 to be able to be used.

Quite often I use more than 10 tools on a job and need to be able to use a manual tool . Also changing tools in the fusion library to only be 1-10 each time causes errors as the tool offset table needs to be repoluated each time.

Turn off H&T agreement in the Haas settings. Leave one pocket empty so you don't make a mistake. M00 where you want to load the different tool. Put a note in the program of which tool to load (prompt for the user). Use any tool offset numbers you want. It doesn't force you to match the tool carousel number to the tool offset. Heck, you can make a tool rack for the end of the table and put ten more tools in there if you want to. Make a program to park and retrieve each tool position and run them as sub programs.

I'm not sure what the next gen control will and won't let you set with regard to tool tables. On classic control you can set the maximum number of displayed tool offsets. Most people set them to match the tool changer but, you could increase it for what you're doing.

Like I said: you could put a rack at one end of the machine and load additional tools from there. People who bought machines like the TM-1 without a tool changer came up with these. Other machines use similar racks for storing tools.

What are you doing now for storing and swapping tool offsets? Are you storing the offsets in other variable registers and restoring them when you're done?

ngc controller wont let you change amount of tools so you can only use T1-T10 in any program - serious limitation .

ngc controller wont let you change amount of tools so you can only use T1-T10 in any program - serious limitation .
Haas says otherwise and doesn't differentiate between classic or next-gen. Have you looked for setting 90? Everything I'm seeing online says you can have up to 200 tool offsets. The other is Setting 15: H&T agreement. Turn that off. You can be using whatever is stored in pocket 7 with offset 192 if you want.

yes you can have up to 200 offsets but you are unable to call T200 while the carousel is in auto change mode , if you go into settings and change to manual tool change then you can call T200 manually . Its a weird quirk of the umbrella toolchanger , if it was a sidemount toolchanger then no issues with any tool number.

yes you can have up to 200 offsets but you are unable to call T200 while the carousel is in auto change mode , if you go into settings and change to manual tool change then you can call T200 manually . Its a weird quirk of the umbrella toolchanger , if it was a sidemount toolchanger then no issues with any tool number.
You can't call tool 200 now unless you're aliasing something to your tool change.

T10 M6 (empty pocket)
M00 (Remove tool 10, install tool 200 1/2" woodruff keyseat cutter)
G43 H200 (resume cutting with whatever you just put in the spindle, using tool 200 offsets)

I'm still missing something. If you want tool 57, whether you M00 the machine and ask for the change or if you aliased it and it asked for the change, the result is the same: you have a tool that doesn't match the pocket number. But the only thing that defines a "tool" is the offset values.

Why don't you do this from the post processor side? Again: leave 10 empty so if you accidentally command a tool change it won't smash the changer. If any tool number is higher than 9, the tool number is 10 and the offset is whatever tool number you used in the CAM program. Have the post output M00 and comment asking for the tool number for anything higher than tool 9.

If you have a probe, that's a natural to have in pocket 10 anyway and you can simply remove it when running actual parts.

I don’t necessarily like this approach, as this is very error prone overall… the work you are doing to not change your tool numbers in fusion is being done at the control instead which is harder to navigate, and you don’t have access to a qwerty keyboard…

But to solve your issue you can use the macro variables page I believe under current commands. There are ranges in each of the sub windows you can utilize for this… again, very error prone, in the event you forget to change a value or leave it at a previous value…

If your reasoning has to do with not wanting to clear an offset from your offsets page, I believe there is a way in fusion to automatically load offsets as well. If I were you, I would work on your tooling management within fusion. You can maintain a static library, with all the T values corresponding to any number you’d like, then simply copy them and alter their respective number. When you are done, delete the copies and continue referencing your static library.

I am progressing , have a working macro now , just need to put more safety checks in for every possible situation , tool length probing is also working properly now on any tool and saving it to the proper tool number in the tool tables.

I'm not sure what the next gen control will and won't let you set with regard to tool tables. On classic control you can set the maximum number of displayed tool offsets. Most people set them to match the tool changer but, you could increase it for what you're doing.

Like I said: you could put a rack at one end of the machine and load additional tools from there. People who bought machines like the TM-1 without a tool changer came up with these. Other machines use similar racks for storing tools.

What are you doing now for storing and swapping tool offsets? Are you storing the offsets in other variable registers and restoring them when you're done?
That works on the old controller but not on a NGC control , you have minimal access to be able to change any parameters , even with a service key , you are so locked out of the control compared the the old system.

The macro I am doing will allow a external tool rack to be used for extra tools if desired. Thats what I started off wanting to do ask more than 10 tools was a requirement , being able to let fusion do all the tool assignments and only have to select the slot to assign a tool to as you load up the carousel also stops any issues with T&H assignments being incorrectly set like can happen in reassigning 1-10 manually.

Back