What's new
What's new

Magnescale for Sony LH32-2K

notwrkg

Plastic
I am getting an old Monarch C14 up and running and it came with a Sony LH32-2K DRO. Age unknown but obviously not a recent acquisition. The Z axis works as it should but the scale on the carriage does not. It is the scale, not the display unit. If I plug swap the cables on the display the Z axis works fine in either port. If have opened the connectors looking for broken wires, carefully cleaned the scales as best I can but no matter what, I get an error on the display. It isn't vital to have this but it would be nice for sure. Is there a snow ball's chance in #$%@ I could find one someplace or is it just too old or just not worth trying to save? I have checked Ebay from time to time and I have seen X axis magnescales show up, just not for this model.

I am getting an old Monarch C14 up and running and it came with a Sony LH32-2K DRO. Age unknown but obviously not a recent acquisition. The Z axis works as it should but the scale on the carriage does not. It is the scale, not the display unit. If I plug swap the cables on the display the Z axis works fine in either port. If have opened the connectors looking for broken wires, carefully cleaned the scales as best I can but no matter what, I get an error on the display. It isn't vital to have this but it would be nice for sure. Is there a snow ball's chance in #$%@ I could find one someplace or is it just too old or just not worth trying to save? I have checked Ebay from time to time and I have seen X axis magnescales show up, just not for this model.

I know a guy. DRO tech, he gets take-off scales. I'll ask for you.

I don't know about your model, but Sony used two different types of plugs on their scales. The (earlier?) plugs were a large square box, the others were a DB9.

Here is a photo of the plugs connected to the control unit. The lower connection is the cable that isn't working. The other photo is the back of the unit without any plugs connected.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_133713178[1].jpg
    IMG_20240420_133713178[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240312_082909724[1].jpg
    IMG_20240312_082909724[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Here's a compatibility list for Sony DROs and scales. The LH32 is in there and can be used with a few different scale types.

Attachments

• Sony Display and Scale Connection Guide.pdf
    747.2 KB · Views: 4
Hey thanks. I'm not sure I understand what it's saying but it gives me some model numbers to look for.

Find LH32 in the top cross row and work your way straight down the column. Anytime there is a box that says it will work, look back across the row to the far left and it will tell you the scale type, so you can look for it.

I had a Magnescale box go bad years ago. There was one place that refurbed Magnescale hardware.

No idea who or where they are.

I'll check if there's a sticker on the back of the box when I'm at the shop later

Do a googly search for scale repair services
I had a y axis scale for for my mill repaired a couple years ago
Monday I'll see if I can find info

The wires on one headunit i repaired looked ok but only on closer inspection i found the copper had been completely dissolved by coolant.

At one time the replacement leads, round metal plug to pcb type plug, were easily available , if not it's not too difficult to make a new one with bits from eBay.

It's worth checking right upto the head unit pcb.

Back