What's new
What's new

Magnetic chuck refurb - what goes between the sliding surfaces?

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I've got a Brown & Sharpe 618 Micro-Mesh magnetic chuck that appears to have spent too much time with coolant, or just plain water, inside. It's not tragic, but had some corrosion and lots of congealed grease.

I've cleaned it up, but I'm curious what, if anything (besides lube), should go between the sliding magnets and the top. It looks like there might have been a thin plastic film in there, but I can't tell what, it was pretty shredded. It seems like there should be something to make it slide easier. Kapton? Mylar? Helicopter tape? Just grease?

Not sure if the B&S had something there originally or not, but on my mag chuck it was just magnet to metal with some grease. Mine is a Kanetsu; Taiwanese but very good quality. They make the Kanetec magnetic tooling and bases as well.

My B&S 5 x 10 has nothing but Mobile poly-urea EP-2 grease that I loaded it with when I took it apart for cleaning. There was no slip sheet between the magnets and the pole pieces. But having said that I bought the chuck used and have no ideal about it's past life.

Back