What's new
What's new

Magnetic VEE Block or V Block recommendations? Strong affordable and quality

John Madarasz

Stainless
Searched old posts...best I could find was some time ago so I thought I would try to here, and update the knowledge base if possible....see this post... https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/strong-magnetic-v-blocks-any-good-brands.314620/

As much as I love Starrett and the 566 they sell as usual it's super expensive and way more precision than what I need. I would like to find a couple blocks that are quality, strong to very strong pull, good size in the 80-100mm length 60mm height size. NOGA naturally has some beautiful product but a quick search isn't pulling up any vendors... The VB1001 and VB1002 look perfect, with the added plus of syncing with other NOGA indicator arms I use. Does anyone have any reco's on what they are using...my use would be for aligning and jigging on the welding table, and as a quick clamp for light drilling operations during odd fits etc. My tolerances are pretty wide... +/- .005 to .010"

Here's the link to the NOGA product... https://www.noga.com/Products/grp_1...net/VB1002/Heavy_Duty_V_Block_Magnet_-_VB1002

Too much $$ for my needs but thanks for the link. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of the brands available since 2016...selection looking kinda grim so I might hit the bay and take a chance on used USA made

One tip: the laminations in your vee blocks must match the width of the laminations in your mag chuck. And in use, the laminations must be aligned.

I got lucky - my rectangular magnetic blocks and my vee mag blocks match my mag chuck. I got those at 3 different times, too.

Mag blocks are very hard to sell for any amount of money unless you find the one guy who can use them. Mine were all gifted to me. I'll throw those in when I sell my SG.

metalmagpie

Have you checked eBay or other online auction services? I've purchased 2 B&S 750D magnetic V blocks from a used machine tool vendor. They're a little larger than the ones you've speced, but at less than $50.00 each they were well worth the money. If ultra precision isn't necessary, there are several brands offered currently on eBay that start in the $50.00 range.

Last edited:
as usual, some didn't bother to read the OP. they are using it for welding setup, NOT on the SG.

John, the ones in the picture in the first post of the linked older thread look exactly like mine, which I bought like 18 years ago from MSC on sale (clearance I think, so don't know if they still carry them). I believe they are made in India (on scant evidence, font, smell of packaging wrapping and oil, no markings).
forget how much I paid, but it wasn't much. I use them for welding setups mostly as well. they are reasonably strong, but I wouldn't use them for drilling without additional clamping.
look around for the matching ones from the usual suspects and don't pay too much, and I think you can't really go wrong.

let us know where and how much you wind up paying, good luck!

P.S. I just looked at MSC, and they have them still, Groz brand made in India for 515 for a pair. you should be able to find them for quite a bit less, 350-400 or so id think. (think I paid less than 200 for the pair back then)

Last edited:
I'm not sure which suggestions you are criticizing but the B&S 750D will hold itself to any ferrous metal surface as well as hold ferrous metals in the V. At a fraction of the price of some of the other suggestions it might be worth the OP's time to check them out. It really doesn't matter what the original purpose of the blocks were as long as they perform the task the OP is intending to use them for.

I'm not sure which suggestions you are criticizing but the B&S 750D will hold itself to any ferrous metal surface as well as hold ferrous metals in the V. At a fraction of the price of some of the other suggestions it might be worth the OP's time to check them out. It really doesn't matter what the original purpose of the blocks were as long as they perform the task the OP is intending to use them for.
yes, you are right that it doesn't matter the original purpose, but I think those B&S blocks are the ones a number of posters have said suck as the old Alnico magnets are just really weak. at least if my B&S sine mag chuck is any indication, I thought it was degraded, but I think its just the magnets from the 1950s and 60s sucked, compared to modern rare earths.

I have no idea how old my B&S V blocks are, but both have excellent holding power. While I haven't measured their holding power with any instrumentation, I have put a 3' length of heavy wall 2" square tube in the V and lifted it by the magnet. There is no way it will fall out unless the magnet is released.

I also have a couple permanent magnetic chucks from the 1950's and 60's one is a 6" x 12 and the other is a 5" x 10". It's all but impossible to remove a work piece from either of them without damaging the chuck when the magnet is in the on position.

I have read that this style magnet can be degraded over time by heat. They can also be recharged to some extent by placing them in contact with a plate demagnetizer/magnetizer. I'm not sure to what extent of for how long the magnet can be restored. Over the years I have magnetized and demagnetized some tools with my L-W demagnetizer.

Back