What's new
What's new

Maho mh700 information

ir9074

Aluminum
Hi all.
I have recently bought a 1960s mh700 manual mill.
It has a vertical head and universal table.
There is little information on these mills, bar the original sales literature.
I thought I'd post some basic info I have learnt since aquiring
Hi all.
I have recently bought a 1960s mh700 manual mill.
It has spent time outside, so looks rough and filthy, but there is a good machine hidden in there. Not much leadscrew backlash, tight ways etc...
It has a vertical head and universal table.
There is little information on these mills, bar the original sales literature.
I thought I'd post some basic info I have learnt since aquiring the mill.

It weighs about 1100kg.
Later mh700s could be had with an int40 taper(mine is)

First, Layout...

In the column, from the top is
The spindle gearbox
The feed motor
The feed H drive and, in front of it, the rapids box (if fitted).
The drive motor is behind the h drive at the very rear of the machine.

The H drive is a varispeed drive made by Heynau. It is very like a bridgeport varispeed drive, but rather than a belt there is a large metal ring. It is operated via a chain that stretches up to the 3 handled control dial that sits just under the spindle speed selectors.

The H drive uses Shell Morlina s2 bl 10(very expensive!).
The other boxes use iso 68 hydraulic oil.
The oil filler and window fot the spindle box is obvious at the top of the mill.
For the H drive and rapids box the fillers are on the right under a louvred cover next to the rapids lever, the windows on the left under a louvred cover.

The drive layout is simple..

Two speed motor (700 and 1400rpm), belts to top, 9 speed spindle box, long sliding gear to spindle. The whole lot should run very quietly without rattles.

The feed layout is more complex.

Two speed motor, belt to rapids input (higher shaft) and seperate belt to rear of hdrive (lower shaft). The Hdrive passes feed to the rapids box.
The rapids box contains a rapids-lever operated clutch that selects drive from the H drive or the rapids input shaft. The rapids lever also operates a switch that engages feed motor electtically via a contacter. The contacter is electrically interlocked with the high/low feed contacters. This means you have rapids when the spindle is not running.

The output from the rapids box goes forwards to the bevel gears at the bottom of the table feedshaft.THE TABLE FEED SHEAR PIN IS HERE UNDER AN O RING.
Machines having power feed to the head have reversing gears in the rapids box that drive a feedshaft coming rearwards on the left inside of the column. This can be seen under the power lh louvred cover. THE HEAD FEED SHEAR PIN IS HERE UNDER AN O RING.
The head powerfeed shaft comes out under the rear motor cover and drives a long chain that drives a sprocket on the head feednut.
The head powerfeed selector operates a large bowden cable, rocker, then selector shaft that passes horizontally through the bottom of the mill to the rapids box.

I hope some of this proves useful to someone one day!

Attachments

• 20240304_155704.jpg
    20240304_155704.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Chain to head under rear cover.
Lower double pulley is the drive motor. Lower single pulley is the rapids input. Upper pulley is the feed motor rapids pulley. Behind it, not vidible is the motor H drive pulley. Thecdelt going down to the h drive is just visible...
curving through the picture is the bowden cable ftom the head feed lever..
20240304_160043.jpg

Drive chain to h drive ftom selector, under the right lower louvred cover. Oil fillers also visible, centre and, partially hidden behind the chain to the right...

Attachments

• 20240304_155858.jpg
    20240304_155858.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
I have the same era machine but an MH600 with the 40 taper in both spindles. Very versatile although the universal table, like all universal tables can be a pain to get trammed spot on. A fixed table would be a useful accessory but if I’m going to have only one table I’m glad it’s the universal one.
I made a horizontal support using 90mm bar, some laser cut 12mm plates and a TIG. I don’t use it very often but it’s good to know I have it.

Correction. The lowest pulley in the photo is the rapids input. The double pulley above it is the drive motor pulley and partially hidden behind is the h drive pulley. At the top is the feedmotor double pulley.
The rapids belt is an spz 1075

That machine wins cruddy! I would be embarrassed to post those pictures on a public forum.
Hope this is a photo study of "before".....................................
Cheers Ross

Back