What's new
What's new

Maho MH800

capstan

Plastic
Hi all
I would like to update a Victoria junior mill in my current place of work
I would ideally like an FP2 or something a little larger
there is currently a Maho MH800 for sale and I was looking for feedback from some one that has used both deckels and Mahos
are the mahos as simple and efficient to use as the deckel. If I get positive response on the Maho I will catch a plane over and have a look at the machine
It comes with tilting and rotating table but no other goodies
does the horizontal spindle have a quill ?
thanks for taking the time to read my post.
CY

I can't give you direct experience of operating a Maho, but a MH800 is considerably larger in travels than a FP2 with little increase in footprint.

If it's similar to this one on Ebay:Maho MH 600 Universal Milling Machine Certainly there is a quill on the vertical spindle but none on the horiz. spindle.

The FP2 is a wonderful machine, but unless you find one with the extended travel vertical head it's quite limited. The MH800 is going to have more rigidity, much more travel and probably be more useful to the average shop.
It won't have the array of accessories available, but other than tables most of the unique Deckel heads and accessories aren't going to get used much by the average user.

I own a Hermle which is closer to the Maho than a Deckel and I love it. Lots of cheap #40 taper tooling available and if it comes with a tilting table, just get on a plane and buy it.

For what you'd have to pay for a FP2 this might be much more machine. I wouldn't pass the opportunity to pick it up. Do you have any pics of it?

Chris

A manual MH800 is a big step up from a Victoria Junior, that's for sure.

If it's the earlier "rounded" model, not the very squared late 70's type (as in the ebay link above) then it has a sort of horizontal quill. Because the top ram, including the horizontal taper, slides then it does work as a quill. I think that the MH800 even has power feed in that direction. The vertical head has a manual quill with no power feed but since the table has vertical power feed it's no disadvantage.

Accessories will be very hard to find. In the UK they are non existent. One day I might stumble across something but they are so rare that they won't be described as Maho so I'll have to rely on serendipity. For my MH600 I've just made a horizontal over arm and it wasn't too difficult.

As has been said, we need pictures!

Charles

I have seen a Maho MH 800 (a manual one), the rounded one, at a dealer. She is gone before you ask. He wanted something around 5000 € (too expensive in my eyes).
That is a massive mill! Looked like well above 3 metric tons, approaching 4 tons.

Don't remember a quill on the horizontal, but that doesn't mean anything.

Nick

OP posted about comparison of MH800 to an FP2 ......

That MH800 is a much larger machine than the FP2.....Almost 31.5" of
X" travel on the Maho....that is moving toward a serious sized envelope if compared to the FP2 at 20" or less of "X" travel....(depends on the date for build for the FP2)

Cheers Ross

thanks to all whom have replied and thanks to David for sending me an Email
this is not the rounded type but the squarer model
as david would know I have just serviced a MH600 for a sister workshop but I am not allowed to use it so I decided to see If I could get a better mill for My workshop ( at Home I have an FP4 cnc and a Hitachi Seiki 50 int machine ) so it feels a little tedious to be stuck with a well worn junior mill in the work place
anyhow your comments have excited me enough to organize some training and stay an extra day to check out the Mill maybe some other machine tools whilst I am in a City .maho_1.jpg
I hope that worked
Chris

It certainly looks well used so a thorough inspection is necessary. The table is interesting too. It looks like it might also rotate about the Z axis which makes it very useful.

The table makes the machine look huge, if you imaging a Deckel FP3 table on it the footprint isn't much larger than a FP3 or FP4M.

Check the carriage slots. If they are 63mm center any Deckel or Hermle table will also fit. If it's in decent condition you should consider it, it's not like there's a lot of iron in your part of the planet...

What's the asking price?

Chris

I agree with the well used and I think it is a Maho option table I am keen to look at it although to the untrained I it looks less refined than a deckel with a swivel & tilt table but that brings me back to your second point that these styles of mills don't come up for sale in south east Aus very often and as I live on an Island that 200 km of water always makes every purchase that bit dearer
he wants about 10 thousand Aus dollars
that's My other problem I do not really know how dear that is as i have only seen one other of these sell in Aus and that was a round casting model without (I think ) the tilt & rotate table. It was also on an auction cite I think it went for about 3.5 K of course this one is going to be dearer because it is at a dealer .
thanks again for your input
I am still looking forward to seeing it however I have to wait till my course in mid July and hope it is still there
Chris

That Maho pictured has the "all angle" tilt, swivel and rotate table.
Similar to the Deckel 2038 "Tool Makers" table (my label, not the factory description)

Further the table also moves in and out giving more range to the (Maho) "Z"....Gives 4 axis of movement on the table.
Very useful...Not sure why one would need to look further for any other table...

10K does not seem out of range to me based on location and supply if the machine is functional and complete and not just clapped out.
Perhaps you could arrange the seller to provide transport and load/off load to the dock for the price.
Multi. loading and unloading, all makes the "shipping" more dear!
Cheers Ross

Capstan: I'd be hard pressed to ignore the Hurons also in your pic. Only ran one for one morning but have never forgotten...

Cheers,
Lucky7

Specs

Bit less than that Nick

Gross weight 1950KG
Table working area 800x320
2.2KW main drive motor

I think Nick was closer to the money. My spec sheet for the "square" style mill has the MH800 weight at 3300kg. See attached sheet

Cheers

Piers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 740
I think Nick was closer to the money. My spec sheet for the "square" style mill has the MH800 weight at 3300kg. See attached sheet

Cheers

Piers

My weight was from the spec sheet for the rounded MH800 ( which was the model Nick mentioned).
Yours is for the square version isn't it (the subject of this thread). Luckily we're both correct.

C

Thanks again gents and thank you Charles for the Spec sheet I am putting together a spread sheet to list pro's and con's of our current junior mill and then the Maho the spec sheet will be good.
Piers thought his machine maybe the one I was mentioned selling at auction for around $3500 it was not this particular machine but he showed me a picture and it looks similarly good to the 800 His is the square type 700
CY

Attachments

• Maho Mill (2).jpg
    Maho Mill (2).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 588
  • Maho Mill (2).jpg
    Maho Mill (2).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,457
  • Maho Mill.jpg
    Maho Mill.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Maho Mill.jpg
    Maho Mill.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 374
  • Maho Mill.jpg
    Maho Mill.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 363
If machines are that hard to find in Australia why don`t you buy them in Europe
Shipping a Deckel FP2 to a port in Australia is gonna cost about €750,- And that includes a crate
I have 2 FP2's, the older 500mm X-stoke machines, for sale right now
Last december I did sell a Maho Graziano GR100W lathe to Australia for that price
Tasmania will be about the same price I expect

Peter from holland

Really that cheap? Not that I don't believe you. But it sounds cheap to me.

Nick

I did check it out
I was a bit optimistic. €595 for the shipping incl inland transport The crate for the lathe was €306 So for a Deckel I expect it to be €200 to €250
Then insureanse is €35 So you total at about €850 to €900 Thats exclusive any import taxes But you don`t have to pay VAT on export

If from Germany you have to ad €100 to €200 for inland transport in Europe
But if you shop around it might be a bit cheaper
All in all not that expensive

Inland transport in Australia or the US is more most of the time
I had a machine shipped to Detroit once Inland transport about 35 miles was 150% of the cost of shipping from my place, about 50miles from port of rotterdam, to the port of Detroit :nutter:

Shipping by boat is cheap

I made the remark once that goods shipping from the east coast to the west coast and VV are probably cheaper going through the panama canal
But it seems there is legislation preventing this

Peter from Holland

Hi All
I just got from checking out the Maho 800
and also a thiel about fp2 size
the maho looks ok but has no actual tooling no digital read out but the main drawback is the vertical spinal was horribly noisy
the Thiel has a digital readout a quick change collet holder with only 2 inserts and a high speed 40 int attachment however the Y axis was incredibly tight and it only has a basic table so I come home not overly impressed with either machine they would probably be good buying at about $5000 aus not 10 000 maybe I am just picky
thankyou again for all that contributed
Capstan

Back