What's new
What's new

Maho seller on crack cocaine of the day

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why would someone have X and Y ballscrews laying around as spare parts unless they felt the machine needed them? You would expect someone to keep some spare parts but I would think that a ballscrew would be a pretty expensive thing to keep around just in case.

Charles

This is the same machine my customer in Ct just sold to this guy.

My customer in CT bought the machine from someone and never powered it up due to not enough incoming power to supply this machine and the others they already had.

This Maho was running cast iron the original customer never cleaned the machine before taking it out of service it was caked with cast chips and rusting.

To bad about the condition of this machine.

This guy bought the machine cheap and is hoping to make a killing. But he did pay for transport from CT to CALI.

Regards
DD

My customer in CT bought the machine from someone and never powered it up due to not enough incoming power to supply this machine and the others they already had.

This guy bought the machine cheap and is hoping to make a killing. But he did pay for transport from CT to CALI.

Regards
DD

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they buy something only to realize they wont or cant use it. I mean we all do that with some things, like treadmills and some small tools but I really think that for a major investment like a machine tool people would plan better than that. As I dont know all the information I will withhold judgment but still sounds like a seriously bone head thing to do.

Even if the guy does make a decent profit on the machine the expenses are still out of the bank until you do. Maybe if I had more money than I knew what to do with I would think differently...

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they buy something only to realize they wont or cant use it. ..
Looking thu the sellers other offerings I get the sense of someone like Mike Kandu where I am absolutely baffled how he could possibly ever sell anything he owns. One example here IMMACULATE OKUMA LB 15 CNC LATHE W 8" CHUCK OSP 5000 - eBay (item 310208020853 end time Apr-17-10 17:14:48 PDT) is humorous..."immaculate" LB15...which is actually a half ass spray can job and priced about 3 times what he will ever actually get for it.

I had the same lathe, except mine was newer, with more tooling, chip conveyor, looked ten times nicer, detailed description complete with video of it running a program... and it was like squeezing blood from a turnip to get $9,000 for it. And this moron thinks he's gonna get almost $20,000 for his POS. (to add to the audasity, note there is not even a "make an offer" button !)

So, his other "wholesale" machines are absurdly high priced but that Maho HMC is stark raving mad priced. :crazy:

This exact machine was available on ebay 3 months ago with a starting bid of $7500, and a buy it now of $10k. No one bid.
Yep. I guess this delusional dealer struck a deal on it later thinking he had hit the jackpot. What he apparently didn't know is that other HMC's of similar vintage and size that have waaaay better reputation and support, such as Mori Seiki's, are selling astoundingly cheap at live auctions these days. And the Mori and Kitamura HMC's at dealers, even priced 1/2 of what he's fantasizing to get on the Maho, just are not selling.

No intent to buy this machine in the least. I did not know that only questions pertaining to the buying and selling of this particular machine were allowed in this thread.

I am sure that this is the same machine that I bid up at auction near here last summer. (and had informed Don of before hand) I know the buyer was Back East somewhere, and I knew their name for a while. Don't recall now - but I knew that the sellers name wasn't right. But now that I read through the thread - I guess it has been sold in the mean time as well.

This has spent some serious time on the road if it is currently in Cali! It started in Indiana last summer!

For those of you with any amount of interest, I talked to the outside (independant) service guy that did most of the machine repair work at this site, and he said that it had been a great machine for them. He HAD replaced an encoder on one of the trunnion axis a few times, and the last time they went ahead and "upgraded" to a nother encoder and had not had any issues with it since. He seemed to think that was "fixed". This was the only DMG they had there.

The 4 axis Moris were selling for a LOT more than this odd duck fetched! But it was a lot more than Milicrons $6K too. I don't know that the Mori's had any rust in them? :rolleyes5:

I don't recall extra screws for it tho. ??? Maybe ... but .... ???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yep. I guess this delusional dealer struck a deal on it later thinking he had hit the jackpot. What he apparently didn't know is that other HMC's of similar vintage and size that have waaaay better reputation and support, such as Mori Seiki's, are selling astoundingly cheap at live auctions these days. And the Mori and Kitamura HMC's at dealers, even priced 1/2 of what he's fantasizing to get on the Maho, just are not selling.

I talked to the seller in CT after the auction as I was interested in buying the machine. but support the machine here seemed less than great, which was a deal breaker for me. It seemed like a good buy at 10k, but to have a machine with poor support is just not worth it I have learned. I'll stick with my Matsuuras, which have more than excellent support and parts availability.

I am just amazed at even DT's estimates of value. I thought we were still in a downturn in the manufacturing sector. A recent auction here sure showed a lot lesser value on Maho mills.
If you mean those two MH600e's that sold about two weeks ago in JAX, those aren't really representative of "what they are going for" due to the situation in which they were sitting....in storage, not connected to power, control looking a bit decrepit, no one to ask what, if anything was wrong with them, etc.

There was a mid 90's Mazak 15 CNC turning center with live tool turret (with live tools) that actually looked way cleaner than the Maho's, but was also in storage and no way to know if it was fine or full of nightmares, which only brought about $3,300. That machine would be worth closer to $30,000 if under power and everything shown to be working properly.

What that stuff went for is pretty much irelevant to market values...the high risk factors (and major "move it out" PITA factor in the case of the Mazak) kept the prices way down.

OTOH, there was a early 90's Fadal 4020 there with 4th axis that was under power and seemed to be fine that went for only ~$4,000...I wish I had bid higher on that one.

Maybe a good hint that the Maho's were ok in that they were both sold to people who had been around them. I bought the one that came from AT&T's R&D and the shop foreman's brother bought the other. He actually wanted mine, but got them confused online. As far as the QT15, you did well to steer away from it. Nothing that would affect it's work, but resale might suffer. We had good service from that Fadal and it earned it's keep. Kind of surprised I didn't hear from you about these machines since apparently you knew about the auction. You saw most of these machines in person quite a while back. David from jax

How much or how long would it take just to clean that thing?
Funny I found this thread by accident. I do have the answer to this question, since I have this machine, or one exactly like it:

A very very long time.

There were only a couple MC800H's with 5 axis trunnions brought to the USA, and this was sent to California so it may be the one I have now, since it came from there. I have covered a bunch of detail on the process of bringing the machine back to near new condition in the following thread:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...sane-member-they-will-be-a-maho-owner.321712/

Back