What's new
What's new

Making a "Live" Knurling Tool

Bendak

Aluminum
Hi all,
Has anybody ever heard of or seen anyone drive the rotation of a knurling wheel with a live axis? We do a lot of knurling on our swiss lathes but have never been able to consistently pick up a knurl where it left off after re-chucking, and are thus limited in terms of overall length. Oftentimes we are left with a witness line or shadow at the transition zone. I was thinking this could be avoided if the rotation of the knurling wheel was controlled by a live axis rather than the rotation of the stock. This way the knurling wheel and bar stock would always remain synchronized. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jack

Sure, you could run a dbl pinch knurl offline if you was after that, but - I'm not exactly following how you are expecting to doo this in a swiss?

You must be running an awfully long knurl if you can't git it all done in one pull.

A) Are you re-chucking before you start your cycle?

B) Are you running "through" your sub?
Is there any non-knurled place ahead of it that you can chuck onto with your sub?
If so, could you pick up late with the sub and start pulling with that for a bit while your main heads back for a bigger bite?
This would take some trial and error, but it can be done.

3) Could you put some break spots throughout the length of the knurled zone?
Like - if you are knurling 12" long, could you make it more like four 2.875" long zones, with an 1/8 or 1/4" between them them that's not knurled. Might look better, not hinder application, and make easier to produce.

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Would running the knurl in G32 thread cycle work? Seems like you could come back in like it was a thread.

Just thought maybe a taper in would line up the knurl wheels with the existing diamond patern?

Back