What's new
What's new

Makino Us false wire breakage

conhed

Plastic
23 minutes ago
I have recently been experiencing false wire breaks using .010 Hitachi soft wire. as soon as the machines moves when starting a program the false wire break error rears it's self. I have cleaned pinch rollers in back, changed the clutch roller to a new one and checked wire tension just last week on all our dia. wires we run. I rotated the energizer plates, Clean ceramic roller, cleaned red eyes for wire I am at a loss.
Any thoughts from you fellow Toolmakers?

Did you mean U3 or U6?

What vintage machine do you have? Is it the double V groove tension roller with the powder clutch, or the flat roller with the servo clutch?
If it is the former, then when you say "new" clutch roller, does it mean brand spankin' new or less used one?
Can you watch the wire motion when it alarms out or it's very very random?

We had some false wire break issues on our Sodick, it was the wire chopper. It was worn around the teeth causing clogging and subsequent pulling on the wire. That would then tug on the tension unit.

Our engineer from Sodick says it is normally the wire chopper or the tension unit that can cause these things.

Whether Makino work in a similar way, I don’t know.

23 minutes ago
I have recently been experiencing false wire breaks using .010 Hitachi soft wire. as soon as the machines moves when starting a program the false wire break error rears it's self. I have cleaned pinch rollers in back, changed the clutch roller to a new one and checked wire tension just last week on all our dia. wires we run. I rotated the energizer plates, Clean ceramic roller, cleaned red eyes for wire I am at a loss.
Any thoughts from you fellow Toolmakers?
You say you cleaned the pinch rollers in the back - I assume you looked to see if there were deep grooves at all? I'm pretty sure those rollers can be flipped around to use the other side also.

Did you also try upping the roller tension in the back to maybe the .008" setting just to see if that makes a difference?

conhed,

Can you please confirm which machine model you have? There have been some good suggestions already on where to look and what to check above, but the specifics depend on your exact machine model. False Wire Breaks are typically the result of a roller issue somewhere, and the (x3) main rollers to look at and pay attention to are the D-Shaft (Main Clutch Roller), the K-Roller (Ceramic Roller in Lower Head), and the rear L&M Pinch Rollers. These main rollers need to be cleaned and checked for wear and proper operation, but you might also want to inspect and clean the Wire Sensors on the Upper Head too. You might also want to have the Upper Wire Drive Cover in place too, as there is a flat-black foam target on the inside of the cover that provides a proper background for the Wire Tip Sensor to see and detect the wire (this becomes more important when using smaller wire sizes).

Your message said you are using 0.010" Soft Wire, but do you see the same issues when using the standard Hard Brass wire? Soft Wire is used for machining higher taper angles, and you should be using the Taper 10, Taper 20, or Taper 30 settings with this wire. If you try to use the standard Hard Brass Wire settings with Soft Wire, you will experience issues and actual wire breaks because the wire tension is too high and the soft wire will stretch and break. It is also common to use the AWT Mode #2 (Wire Annealing Mode) when using Soft Wire to improve AWT reliability because Soft Wire has A LOT of memory to it! Can you please check and ensure you have a proper E-Code active for use with Soft Wire, such as a Taper 10 condition? It might be possible that you have a prior Hard Brass wire E-Code still active that has too high a tension for use with Soft Wire.

You can also contact the Makino Technical Support line at 1-888-625-4664 for live assistance. Thank you!

- Brian

Did you mean U3 or U6?
All great ideas guys.
2016 U3 with brand new clutch roller. wire breaks as soon as heads start to move. Pinch rollers in back where replaced about two months ago to brand new rollers. Makino does not have a wire chopper, it coils in a hopper. I have the round wire guides. Played with with roller tension setting in back to no avail. I cleaned wire sensors and yes I am using taper technology for soft wire as I am familiar with that wire tension/Ecode issue when switching from hard to soft wire.

If you have a wire cabinet where the spool sits on rubber pads over the drive wheel. Check if the rubber has walked into the sides. This happened on our Mits FA machine recently.

ok, I re-read your first post ...
What do you mean by "as soon as the machine moves" you get the"false wirebreaks"?

What happens if you just thread the wire and hit the "wire feed" button just by itself? How does the motion of the rollers look? Is it smooth or jerky?

If smooth, then what if you write a short program as:

M06
M17
G04 10000
M30

Would it still error out with a wirebreak?

ok, I re-read your first post ...
What do you mean by "as soon as the machine moves" you get the"false wirebreaks"?

What happens if you just thread the wire and hit the "wire feed" button just by itself? How does the motion of the rollers look? Is it smooth or jerky?

If smooth, then what if you write a short program as:

M06
M17
G04 10000
M30

Would it still error out with a wirebreak?
Load program, hit green start button, Wire automatically threads no problem, Water tank fills, as soon as this is complete the heads will start the physical movement called out in program. And when this happens the false wire break error appears.
no false wire break when i hit wire feed only.
Yes smooth and slack free wire.

Load program, hit green start button, Wire automatically threads no problem, Water tank fills, as soon as this is complete the heads will start the physical movement called out in program. And when this happens the false wire break error appears.
no false wire break when i hit wire feed only.
Yes smooth and slack free wire.
Just for giggles, what happens if you load this program?

M06
M17
G04 10000
M30

Note that all it does is threads wire and turns on water/wire/electricity, then just waits without motion.

Back