What's new
What's new

Manufacturing associations?? Who participate in any??

SageGlad

Aluminum
Hey guys.
Looking around and talking to many people to do business. So found a tons of associations of "any kind of" manufacturers.
Some of them are non profit and funded by government (I've been told) and some of them cost from $6 hundred and up. Can't make sense what do they offer and what's the benefits. Those who free (funded by gov) they are answering a questions kind of stupid. SBA consultants just sending a bunch of links to some stupid resources which makes me lost even more and can't answer straight ahead. What they need for, this stupid SBA consultants?
Who have any thoughts or so, let me know.
I'm a good shop, small but I'm doing everything as best as I possibly can. Even digitalization etc (digital Manufacturing).
Also I heard about some big companies who investing in a smaller ones to build their infrastructure.
Guys don't hesitate please
Thanks you all!

?
The sba program, trade group, or bizzness incubator?
Digital manufacturing buzz word buzz word block chain buzz word 4.0

?
The sba program, trade group, or bizzness incubator?
Digital manufacturing buzz word buzz word block chain buzz word 4.0
Man, have you ever thought that digital is not a blockchain? So it's such a different.
Digital means you know your data. Collect filter and use it.

Can't make sense what do they offer and what's the benefits. Those who free (funded by gov) they are answering a questions kind of stupid. SBA consultants just sending a bunch of links to some stupid resources which makes me lost even more and can't answer straight ahead. What they need for, this stupid SBA consultants?
Who have any thoughts or so, let me know.

I honestly can't make sense of what you are saying in this section here.

I think he's trying to ask what's the benefit of joining a business association. Especially if you are paying membership dues - do you get out what you put in?

I would say that it's like any other club or organization, you are all (hopefully, and in a civil manner) working toward a common goal.

You don't get any direct monetary benefit from the organization itself, but if 1000 small businesses can put the pressure on a politician to vote against a law that might hurt, or completely destroy, their industry, I'd say that a couple hundred bucks a year isn't that much to pay.

Also, a lot of these associations develop standards (NEMA for example), that make life a hell of a lot easier for everyone - you can replace one brand or servo motor on your CNC with another because they all agreed to build them with the same frame size, output shaft, etc.

It's always good to be in the know and connected with other businesses, it gives you a good indicator on social and economic factors that could impact your business. It won't keep you from having to weather the storm like everyone else, but at least you won't be blindsided by it.

Most of the fed funded ones aren't really something you become a member of. You just ask them for help when you need it. I used to pay to be a member of the state manufacturing association, but I dropped it; not worth the money.

My review of some, YMMV:

MEP: funded mostly by NIST, but also do contract work. They've been invaluable for me with ISO9000/AS9100 stuff. I contract with them to do my internal audits. They also often have money for training grants; they paid for me to take Richard King's scraping class.

PTAC: funded by DoD, free to contractors. Invaluable. They help with getting you set up as a federal contractor, answer all of my annoying questions about JCP, FARs, DFARs, HUBzone, and every other acronym the DoD can come up with. They also know lots of people on the federal side, so they can get answers to esoteric questions. For example, If you are a three person company, only one of whom lives in the HUBzone, they calculate your ratio as 1.05/3, which puts you over the 35% threshold. This isn't in the documentation anywhere, but my PTAC rep researched it for me, and got it in writing from the SBA. They also have a free service where I get a daily email with every state and federal solicitation that matches a list of keywords I gave them.

SBDC: funded by SBA. They were useful when I first set up the business for resources and advice. Haven't used them in ages.

SCORE: funded by SBA. Haven't used them, but have heard good things.

Most of the fed funded ones aren't really something you become a member of. You just ask them for help when you need it. I used to pay to be a member of the state manufacturing association, but I dropped it; not worth the money.

My review of some, YMMV:

MEP: funded mostly by NIST, but also do contract work. They've been invaluable for me with ISO9000/AS9100 stuff. I contract with them to do my internal audits. They also often have money for training grants; they paid for me to take Richard King's scraping class.

PTAC: funded by DoD, free to contractors. Invaluable. They help with getting you set up as a federal contractor, answer all of my annoying questions about JCP, FARs, DFARs, HUBzone, and every other acronym the DoD can come up with. They also know lots of people on the federal side, so they can get answers to esoteric questions. For example, If you are a three person company, only one of whom lives in the HUBzone, they calculate your ratio as 1.05/3, which puts you over the 35% threshold. This isn't in the documentation anywhere, but my PTAC rep researched it for me, and got it in writing from the SBA
. They also have a free service where I get a daily email with every state and federal solicitation that matches a list of keywords I gave them.

SBDC: funded by SBA. They were useful when I first set up the business for resources and advice. Haven't used them in ages.

Seems to be plenty with that free service.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My review of some, YMMV:

PTAC: funded by DoD, free to contractors. Invaluable. They help with getting you set up as a federal contractor, answer all of my annoying questions about JCP, FARs, DFARs, HUBzone, and every other acronym the DoD can come up with. They also know lots of people on the federal side, so they can get answers to esoteric questions. For example, If you are a three person company, only one of whom lives in the HUBzone, they calculate your ratio as 1.05/3, which puts you over the 35% threshold. This isn't in the documentation anywhere, but my PTAC rep researched it for me, and got it in writing from the SBA. They also have a free service where I get a daily email with every state and federal solicitation that matches a list of keywords I gave them.

Thank you Daniel!
I recently went to a small business summit to see what's going on there, who participating, have some conversations etc. All these PTAC, SBA, SBDC etc. seems to be legit, some other agencies was there and they saying there are some programs for small businesses to get a contracts with their help (they are kind of provider). Did you ever participate in government contracting? Very interesting to hear any info about your experience. I'm thinking to get this direction and try to have a contract, not sure yet if it's worth it or not, but worth to try I think.

Seems to be plenty with that free service.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I would appreciate you leave here any decent comments or info if you can share so. What do you do? What's Your background ?

I would appreciate you leave here any decent comments or info if you can share so. What do you do? What's Your background ?
You want Ox to take the time from his busy schedule to write it all out for you personally like ?
Read the archives.

Back