What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2024 stuck on "Checking License..."

I’m aware. It is registered.
@Narco
When I had mc training a couple years ago I used a student license and, when I needed assistance, the local VAR was super helpful and fielded every question I asked them. Even if you receive a license directly from mastercam, I would still contact a VAR and ask for help. The home office pushed support to the VAR's a long time ago.

There, I fixed it for you.

My dude. What other mass use software can't open it's files directly? You want to play an MP3? You click the MP3 and it opens your playback software. Watch a movie? Click the movie, it opens the video decoding software and plays the movie. It's standard shit.

If I click on a mastercam file, and mastercam HANGS WHILE LOADING, that's a bug whether you think it's funny that I don't know the workaround or not, and you're being a gatekeeping asshole.

Because that is freeware. When you pass the $10k/seat software, you start to find that you are working with the world's greatest anti-piracy software, everything else is secondary.

Take a chill pill. This software is used all day long by professionals. It's a tool, not a convince like your MP3 player. Like all of our lathes and mills and whatnot, there are operating procedures that must be followed, and they can't be hopped in and fired up like a mass-market car. Follow the conventions and instructions for the tool that you are using, and you should have a good time. Release that there will be bugs, but if you encounter them, it's usually because you're trying to do something not intended, which is either wrong, not the best way to do it, or quite an edge case they should be aware of.

Yours truly,
Richard of another name

It always gets to me when people in the know, that joined a forum where questions get asked, belittle people for not knowing something about a new to them piece of software.

In general in windows double clicking a file opens the program and just works, for normal end user licensed software like Word.

Solidworks can just open a file without issues, in an end user mode like the OP is using this version of Mastercam.

Why can't Mastercam, because of the way its licensing system works.

How would a new user know that without asking?

I really wish people would leave constructive comments and just move on when they don't.

It can open any file that it's designed to open, it has nothing to do with licensing.
Licensing is only to open Mastercam and use it, once that's taken care of, you can open up a variety of file formats even by double clicking on it.
OR
File/Open
OR
Drag the file over to the Mastercam main window.

It's not the software, it's the user. And the OP has lied more than once in this thread.
They didn't lock him out, he CAN get on the forum, he DOES have a reseller that serves his area.

A program, any program, should never hang, doesn't matter how its opened or anything else the user does. If mastercam for some bizarre reason can't get a license if its opened by double clicking a file, it should tell you that, not just try anyway and hang.

It can open any file that it's designed to open, it has nothing to do with licensing.
Licensing is only to open Mastercam and use it, once that's taken care of, you can open up a variety of file formats even by double clicking on it.
OR
File/Open
OR
Drag the file over to the Mastercam main window.

It's not the software, it's the user. And the OP has lied more than once in this thread.
They didn't lock him out, he CAN get on the forum, he DOES have a reseller that serves his area.
Yes, I know that, people that have used mastercam for awhile know that.

I am saying someone that hasn't used it much, new to the job or school doesn't know that, and people belittle someone like that for not knowing what experience has taught others.

I am saying instead of belittling someone for not know the quirks of a particular program they are just starting to use, just move on and don't comment on the thread.

Yes, I know that, people that have used mastercam for awhile know that.

I am saying someone that hasn't used it much, new to the job or school doesn't know that, and people belittle someone like that for not knowing what experience has taught others.

I am saying instead of belittling someone for not know the quirks of a particular program they are just starting to use, just move on and don't comment on the thread.
The OP brought it upon themselves by lying and blaming the software.

The OP brought it upon themselves by lying and blaming the software.
It is the software's fault. It should be able to function, even with its messed up licensing system, to open a file when double clicked on, this is normal windows/macos/linux functionality.

Solidworks can and it has strict licensing also.

It always gets to me when people in the know, that joined a forum where questions get asked, belittle people for not knowing something about a new to them piece of software.
Fair enough question. He did have a bit an attitude so he got the same back.
I'll explain it again, perhaps with more specific Mastercam information. Suppose you're a big shop. You have ten programmers. Most of your work is 3 axis mill stuff. You have two lathes, a mill turn and one 5-axis.

Double clicking a "mastercam" file will open a seat of the software, authenticated off of the server. The question is: which version? Do you need 5-axis? Or will you only be doing 3-axis today? You're going to say it shouldn't matter but so would Mastercam: buy all 5-axis seats at $20K+ each and don't bother us.

Instead, you have the option of launching a 3-axis seat or a 2-axis lathe seat, without using the one seat of multiaxis that your company pays for. Why force the company to have ten multiaxis seats of software when they only have one multiaxis guy anyway?

Ya'll are funny :nutter:

With software that isn't poorly designed and riddled with bugs, you double click a file, the software opens, asks you which licenses you need, you check out those licenses, and it opens the file. Or it tells you that you can't open this file with the licenses you've selected. Or it pops up a little dialog that politely informs the user that opening files directly from Windows Explorer doesn't work for XYZ reason, and tells them to start the program first. It doesn't just open halfway and crash. Yeah, OP might have a bit of an attitude, but he's not wrong.

Even funnier are the comments to the effect of, "cheap/free software, you expect to work properly. But REALLY expensive software doesn't need to work properly, users just need more training on how to work around all the bugs." Normal people look at that the other way around. The more I pay for software, the less tolerant I am for stupid, simple bugs in the basic functionality of the software. Advanced, complex, cutting-edge features? Sure, I'd expect some issues here or there. But opening a file? Come on. That should just work.

Last edited:
Donkey Hotey, love the name btw. lol

Mastercam could have designed their software to save the license required information inside the MCAM file.

When I open mastercam it opens with a general license, no where does it make me pick what license to use until I add a machine to the tool paths page.

We have 3 3-axis mill seats, 3 5-axis, 4 lathe seats, and 2 wire seats in mastercam.

When I open a previously saved file that does not have tool paths it is still just registered under the general license.

If I open a file that has a machine and tool paths then it pulls the appropriate license.

So if mastercam was properly programed, it would open a file in general mode, look for the license required for whatever machine is attached to that file already. And grab the license or report that the license is unavailable.

Ergo, mastercam is not programmed properly if it is hanging when opening a file that has been double clicked on. At worst it should open and report license unavialable and the close.

Ya'll are funny :nutter:

With software that isn't poorly designed and riddled with bugs, you double click a file, the software opens, asks you which licenses you need, you check out those licenses, and it opens the file. Or it tells you that you can't open this file with the licenses you've selected. Or it pops up a little dialog that politely informs the user that opening files directly from Windows Explorer doesn't work for XYZ reason, and tells them to start the program first. It doesn't just open halfway and crash. Yeah, OP might have a bit of an attitude, but he's not wrong.

Even funnier are the comments to the effect of, "cheap/free software, you expect to work properly. But REALLY expensive software doesn't need to work properly, users just need more training on how to work around all the bugs." Normal people look at that the other way around. The more I pay for software, the less tolerant I am for stupid, simple bugs in the basic functionality of the software. Advanced, complex, cutting-edge features? Sure, I'd expect some issues here or there. But opening a file? Come on. That should just work.
I agree, software that costs this much shouldn't have stupid "do it only this way bugs"

You can have Mastercam open up with Design or Mill, or Lathe.

In my almost 30 years of using Mastercam I can't recall a time where I've ever had an issue opening a file that it was supposed to open.

It's a PEBKAC error.
Well apparently it is a known problem because more than one person said you can't open files for mastercam by double clicking on them.

He's using the home learning edition. Obviously the free version has limits placed on it so it doesn't become a tool for industry to 'do work'. HLE needing to open files from within, and not launching from Explorer, is likely unintended as making it behave the same as the full version here likely breaks some handicap they have put into the HLE license. His teacher should have talked about this on day 1.

No other big CAM software even have a version like this that you can run for free, forever, just by giving them your email, yet people still complain.

Internet safety tip for those who are butt hurt by this thread...go into any forum flinging shit and it'll come right back at you. That's how the internet works. Welcome and enjoy your second day.

No other big CAM software even have a version like this that you can run for free, forever,
Technically you need to get the new version every year. They changed this a couple of years ago. Now they are a 1 year temp license for the HLE. Which is a pain in the ass to put on computers that aren't on the network.

Back