What's new
What's new

MasterCam Taper in Custom Thread

apiazza2010

Plastic
Hello All,

Thank you again for all the help in this forum.
I was wondering if anyone is aware on how to setup a taper on a custom thread turning toolpath in MasterCam.
They are "looking into it" but I'm wondering if this is just a limitation of the software. In FeatureCAM guides it mentions that I can use the thread chain, and the software will use the difference between X values at the start and end of the chain for the taper
Is this something that can be done in MC?
I'm manufacturing an auger for concrete using a standard lathe. I was able to make one with straight threads really well using a 08 button tool, but i'm struggling with this.

Thank you

Chain the tapered geometry.
Thank you for the help. Maybe I don't understand right, but right now I have a chain that is the "slice" of a single thread profile. If I select more then one chain it tells me I can't select more then 1. When you say, tapered geometry, do you mean my "left side" of the thread is higher than the "right side".
As in if my chain is a shaped like a checkmark. I tried the above, and this is the result. No taper
The geometry is on the right side
Screenshot 2022-12-15 171426.png

oh, ya, no taper option in custom thread. maybe a post edit can do the math for a taper with a misc value? reseller time!

You can try doing create turning profile . it might create a wire frame on your threads and your problem can be solved.

Back