What's new
What's new

Material availability / lead times

... before the Olympics!

LOL!

Or maybe not LOL?
Are we all going through so much of this crunch b/c of a bloody sporting event? :skep:

I already have zero use for sports (especially organized) don't really need to add THAT to the equazsion!

Ox

Something we agree on - the IOC, FIFA, NFL, etc are about as corrupt as things get. Sometime beyond governmental level. I admire the skills of the best sportsman, but would be quite happy with them making a little less per year than say, doctors...

US steel companies all made record profits last year. And $16 billion in new mills and improvements are currently sceduled for the 2 years.
A new mill can easily run a couple billion and take 3 to 5 years to build, so they tend to move somewhat slowly, cant just double production in a few months.

Something we agree on - the IOC, FIFA, NFL, etc are about as corrupt as things get. Sometime beyond governmental level. I admire the skills of the best sportsman, but would be quite happy with them making a little less per year than say, doctors...

absolutely, and add F1!

Listing to sports on the radio is my favorite way to get my mind of what I am doing when performing mundane repetitive boring tasks. Listening to music doesn't do it for me. If I am pushing the green button every 25 seconds and the job is going to last hours and hours
having a game on can increase efficiency quite a bit. I think I just like different entertainment types for different type of work. I listen to music also, but not when I am handcuffed to a machine.

I like Nascar a lot but sick and tired of the constant rule changes, I give up trying to keep up with them.

Last edited:
I ordered ~$300 of aluminum bar from Midwest on the 10th. Asked today, and they said it should be next week to ship, so maybe 4 weeks if I'm lucky... First time using them. Oh well.

Could be worse. In semiconductors right now I have parts (that I have been using for years) which I ordered in summer of last year and which are currently scheduled for delivery in March. Of 2023.

Print a ton of money and it has to go somewhere.

Got this a couple days ago from a supplier:

Some of you may have heard today, that the London Metals Exchange (LME) has halted ALL trading in Nickel for at least the next several days. The price shot up in the last few days from about $10 lbs to over $45 lbs. This created a short squeeze with major traders having to close positions or come up with margin call payments. They are taking a pause to sort it all out and try to find a way to reopen in a calculated manner.

This situation is causing extreme uncertainty and chaos into the market for stainless steel given nickel is a major ingredient in stainless grades. Our mill partners are now telling us that they will not quote or accept new orders until they get a better idea what is going to happen once trading reopens. I think one thing we can assume for sure is that the price is going to be higher once this situation starts to clear up.

Sounds like some players are manipulating the market to cash-in on the war disruption.

Fuckers.

Hope they get themselves a nice nickel-plated coffin sometime...

Don't you love those guys who profit while never adding any value or service and they do it all sitting at a desk?
We chose the wrong line of work.

Sounds like some players are manipulating the market to cash-in on the war disruption.

Fuckers.

Hope they get themselves a nice nickel-plated coffin sometime...

Not sure whether it’s market manipulation or basic supply and demand - Russia supplied about 10% of world nickel production in 2019, according to USGS statistics. Supply worries and sanctions issues probably at play here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure whether it’s market manipulation or basic supply and demand - Russia supplied about 10% of world nickel production in 2019, according to USGS statistics. Supply worries and sanctions issues probably at play here.

Indonesia's the big player in nickel, Russia's third, which is more than I thought but still shouldn't lead to a 4x spike in pricing. Canada's much smaller than I realized, for some reason I had them as a bigger source in my mind.

• Nickel production top countries 2021 | Statista

US is more like a penny when it comes to production...

I follow nickle a bit,and it was at $22 a pound for quite a while,when it started to spike towards around $35......then supposedly the price was manipulated to $100,000 a ton ,which caused trade suspension ......the Afgans who have my yard "borrowd" two full sheets of 5/16" 316 to drive their forklifts on ...I only paid $1 a kg for it,but there is probably $10k worth of sheet theyve bent up .....anyhoo,Im still in the yard and not paying rent ...so.

I do know that pvc pipe products for wells are months lead time and the price on 6” is competitive with steel now, steel 18 per foot pvc 17.50 and not available. that has nothing to do with ukraine though that has been ongoing since late last year

I do know that pvc pipe products for wells are months lead time and the price on 6” is competitive with steel now, steel 18 per foot pvc 17.50 and not available. that has nothing to do with ukraine though that has been ongoing since late last year

I am doing a slow whole house rehab, construction/remodel supplies that haven't went way up are more shocking than seeing price hikes.

Back