What's new
What's new

Material for Chuck Back Plate

jwweathers

Aluminum
I would like to purchase a 10” diameter steel round bar to machine into a lathe back plate for a chuck on my 13” Leblond Regal. I imagine I will need something over 1” thick. What I can find on the web seems a bit expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jeff

Consider having something cut from plate as an alternative. Material may be cheaper. Cut (torch) oversize, you obviously can turn it down on your lathe.
That would be awesome. Just need to find someone who is willing to do that for me. Anyone on here willing to drop some scrap in a box or cut something for me from a larger plate for a fair price? I would be grateful.

Thanks!
Jeff

why steel? grey cast iron 10" X 1 1/4"(and thicker) disks are available from McMaster, and would probably cut really nicely. about a hundred bucks, but seems like the right stuff. I'd do a quick price check with Durabar and see if you can source directly for less, but hey, it would come the next day (if you are close to them).

AVOID some cheap "semi-finished" cast iron backplates, in particular from Little Machine Shop, the ones I got from them truly sucked.

Your local steel service center should have the centers from burn parts. Offer them 10%-20% over scrap price, and weld up the lead in.

I don't know the spindle nose on your lathe, but often they are a very precise taper and flat reference face. Not an easy turning job.
Find out what your spindle nose is, then look for a backing plate on ebay.
Bob
Mine has a 2-1/8 5tpi spindle nose. Tooling is scarce.

Here's a link to an old instruction manual for your lathe, courtesy Johnodor.

Cutting an internal tapered thread is not easy. You will need some sort of gauge to determine when you have the correct size thread.
Hopefully you have a second lathe close by so you can work on this lathe, then try the plate for fit on the LeBlonde. Make sure, if you do remove the plate to check, that you have a way of getting the plate back in EXACTLY the same place, and true, so you can pick up on the threads.
Not an easy task. Watch lots of videos on Youtube.

Agree with Digger, making and fitting a threaded spindle lathe backplate is a right of passage. OP should do it imho from cast iron disc.

Back