What's new
What's new

material selection

eqshop9689

Plastic
I need to build some "Bull Pricks" This is basically a fancy spike or stake that they pound into the ground like a pilot drill bit, to make room to drive the wooden stake (hub) or vampire stake into the ground to set grade (elevation) when building roads.

What type of material do you guys think i should use?

I am going to build these on the lathe with the tapper attachment.

It will probably be a long tapered cylinder with some knurled handle and a large head on it for the hammer to hit.

What would be the best material to hold up to the years of being pounded into the ground. Also would like something that will machine nice.

Thanks for your input, advice and sharing years of experience.

Buy a bale spear from agri supply or other low priced importer,
weld some handles on the top/side for retrieval.

Or, make a properly sized post pounder to put the wooden
grade stakes in, with one single operation.

8620 is cheap and easy to machine. Heat treat after forming, its easy to do, and the hardened surface you get is more than adequate for this purpose, doesn't need to be hard throughout.

Bale spear would also be good if you can find one the right size.

Post pounders maybe, if the only issue is getting the stake in. I've used them more than I care to remember. The problem with them is that if the ground is hard or the stakes are soft, they might not get your stake in where you need it to be. For OPs purpose it would be my fallback tool.

If you are pounding it with a sledge you do not want the top hard. I used form pins for the same purpose. Whatever you do never use a jackhammer point. It can spall if hit with a hammer. I've had a piece of steel in my finger for the last 60 years from pounding on a jackhammer point.

Back