What's new
What's new

Math in Manufacturing

More than once I have handed someone $21 and the correct coinage when the bill was $11 and change and they will hand the dollar back and then give me $9 more.

Oh yes, have definitely had that happen plenty of times. How about going to a store and the bill is $9.82 and I give a $20. Cashier seems to lock up there for a second, then gets out her phone, sets it flat on the counter and types 9.82-20, hits = and gets -10.18... *forehead slap*.

Oh yes, have definitely had that happen plenty of times. How about going to a store and the bill is $9.82 and I give a $20. Cashier seems to lock up there for a second, then gets out her phone, sets it flat on the counter and types 9.82-20, hits = and gets -10.18... *forehead slap*.
Give them a $20 bill, a nickle and (2) pennies......

Youll have to pay by card.....why.?.....I cant do actual money,I havent done that course yet...........takes you back to the days when the kids from the Opportunity School used to sit in the back motormans cab of the tramcar ,and heat coins with a lighter,then toss them out for suckers to pick up.

Friends, we have a new National Science Foundation-funded project called "Needed Math"

We are trying to sort out what math is needed by technicians in the manufacturing workplace (as opposed to the math that is taught in community college technical or applied math courses).

We're developing a 40-item survey that has been vetted by industrialists but would like to pilot test it with additional colleagues……especially manufacturing technicians or instructors who teach courses for manufacturing technicians.

The survey would take you about 20 minutes. We're not asking anyone to do any of the math, just to tell us if each survey item is clear and relevant.

Might any of you be willing to assist us?

Thanks,
Michael Hacker
[email protected]

Friends,

In August (2022) we began to have conversations about the mathematics used by manufacturing technicians as an outgrowth of our National Science Foundation-funded "Needed Math" Project.

The purpose of the Project is to better align the mathematics that is taught in community college technical programs with the mathematics that manufacturing technicians actually need and use on the job. Our intent is to drive curriculum by what industrialists feel are the competencies needed by entry level technicians.

The conversations we had on this forum were prompted by our intent to survey manufacturing industrialists and educators about the mathematics they deem to be most important in the manufacturing workplace.

Thanks to those of you who provided initial comments and suggestions. I've shared them with our team and we have now constructed a survey draft that we are anxious to pilot test and would welcome your help. Pilot testing is necessary to ensure the validity of the survey items.

Some of you have already participated and I'm writing now to ask for others to assist us.

There are three versions of the survey (same questions, different demographic sections) for industrialists/manufacturing technicians, manufacturing technical educators, and math instructors. We're interested in comparing the perceptions of these three groups.

Please consider taking the survey. It should take no more than 30 minutes of your time. We're not asking respondents to do any of the math, only to tell us how frequently you think technicians encounter similar problems at work, and how well schooling prepares them to do these tasks.

Here are the three survey links (to be done and submitted online before November 8, 2022). Feel free to share them with colleagues:

Industrialists/Technicians
https://tinyurl.com/manutechnicians

Technical Educators
https://tinyurl.com/technicaleducators

Math Educators
https://tinyurl.com/matheducators

Sincere thanks to any of you who would be willing to devote time to this.
I'm happy to answer any questions you might have via phone (518-915-1411) or email ([email protected]).

Michael

Back