What's new
What's new

Matrix Nexus - Bar Face with Edge Tool?

Isak Andersson

Aluminum
Hello. I've been struggling to find the proper way to program this tool. It's an external DCMT holder, held in the axial direction, similar to a boring bar. I assumed that EDGE is the correct way to define this type of tool but I'm not sure.

The problem is that it's not modeling the tool right in the virtual machine and it's using the wrong cutter compensation. It's also not going past X0 so it leaves some material in the center.

My ugly solution to this was to compensate the tool 4*nose radius to make up for this error. Clearly, there's gotta be a better way to do this, right? Any ideas?

This is the tool:

Clearly not how the tool should look:

Tool Data:

The part:

The Program:

I would set the cut direction for that tool to Left with the counterclockwise arrow. Your setting right now would be for the subspindle which is why it's upside down in virtual.

I would set the cut direction for that tool to Left with the counterclockwise arrow. Your setting right now would be for the subspindle which is why it's upside down in virtual.
Wouldn't that make it run counterclockwise (M4) as well? It's a left-hand tool but it's held in a way that makes it a clockwise (M3) tool if that makes sense. I would use a right-hand tool but the holder didn't allow this which makes it a bit tricky.

Unfortunately, Mazatrol will not push a BAR FCE below X0, which is why it leaves a nub the size of the insert's radius. BAR IN using tool set as a boring bar will get rid of the nub as will a manual process.

I do not know if the newer controls will allow an EDG process behind Z0 but try that as well.

Unfortunately, Mazatrol will not push a BAR FCE below X0, which is why it leaves a nub the size of the insert's radius.
I guess one way to do it would be to program the small OD two nose-radii bigger and then compensate the tool down the same amount. Not pretty, but it should work.

Back