What's new
What's new

Matsuura tool matrix mystery

Billy_C

Cast Iron
I'm in the process of getting our third MAM72-25V up and running. We are the second owner, the usual used machine kinda routine. It's not everyday something like this trips me up but this one truly has me stumped. I'll post what info I have and see if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

Machine:
2011 MAM72-25v Fanuc 30i Matrix w/ 120 tools (4 racks)

The horizontal servo drive for the matrix had a fan fail the first day we fired it up. My coworker pulled the drive and replaced the fan. This reset the home position on the drives so rehoming the tool changer was required. We usually do this anyways so that things run smooth. I have the homing procedure from Matsuura which calls for setting the tool changer 0,0 at pocket 15. I can get through this step successfully and after a power cycle, manually jogging back to pocket 15 confirms 0,0 in the P Mate and HMI of the matrix. The soft limits are set to factory settings, well outside the range of motion for the tool changer. This is where things start to go wrong. Manually jogging isn't working for the down part of the vertical travel unless I flip the overtravel interlock override switch in the HMI box. All other motion directions work without defeating the interlock. When the interlock switch and manual control toggle are off there are no alarms on the machine or matrix HMI other than routine PM warnings. I can run the spindle and jog all axis no problem. I decided to move on from this and get the TC arm pocket position setup. I jogged the TC to the pocket and copied the horizonal and vertical position into the PMC data tables. The values for these are within a millimeter or so from the factory setting which tells me everything seems good there. After completing all the tool changer adjustment I switch all the write-enable bits back to the normal locked state included the P-mate display, power cycle the machine, and confirm all my values held and TC position is still good. This next part is even stranger. All should be good at this point to do a full dry tool change but I usually work my way up to that so I go to the matrix HMI and call pocket 15 to the tool loading area in the matrix and get no response other than the light on the "tool call" button. After about 30 seconds the light goes out and and alarm get thrown saying the TC didn't complete it's motion in the time required. Of course the little info box says something is jammed mechanically. As far as I can tell jogging everything seems totally normal so I'm not sure what's going on. The vertical down travel issue has me suspicious there is something in a parameter that I don't know about but I have no idea where to start other than meticulously tracing out the ladder. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I figured out the problem. It will probably never happen to anyone in 1000 deals but its worth a laugh. The dealer that sold us the 2011 MAM also had a 2006 MAM and they sent us the 2011 machine with the 2006 tool changer. It's pretty unbelievable. It wasn't until I started pulling parts off the 2006 tool changer and noticing date codes of 2006 on every part that I smelled something fishy. There was no amount of "fixing" on earth that could have gotten it to work because the data channels that the HMI communicates on must be different. I sensed there was some communication issue there but that's not documented anywhere that I could find so I was down to just starting to throw parts at it.
Now the next questions go something like this...

What should I expect to happen next?
Do I need to wipe the NC and restore to factory settings before plugging in the 2011 matrix when I get it?
Did anything get fried connecting up the different year parts like that?
What is a reasonable price to charge the dealer for 2 weeks worth of engineering salary (my time)?
What is a reasonable price to charge for 2 weeks and shipping/logistics time that should have been time making 5 axis parts?

What a big mess! It's just so unbelievable.

The Fanuc core system is the same but I suspect Matsuura changed up the communication data bits between the TC's HMI in those years. The ladder in the 2011 compared to 2006 is vastly different.

Ohh, that's what I'm doing. They are paying for the entire thing including a tech to get the correct tool changer setup and restore the factory SRAM just incase data was getting written to the wrong place by the 2006 TC. I hope it's that simple but this is such a crazy situation, who knows.

Back