What's new
What's new

Maybe a dumb question about switching TPG inserts

Overland

Stainless
I have a boring bar designed for TPG inserts.
The TPG inserts are of course flat top surface. Would it be possible to use TPMT inserts, of same size in this bar ?
I realize TPMT are designed for a center screw, but I'm thinking clamping with the TPG chipbreaker should hold the insert securely. I'm thinking light duty applications in low carbon steel. The advantage I can see is the improved geometry.
Bob

Yup will fit.
But that M means not ground on the sides.
This means maybe a side that has a bit of a flat area before the 10-11 degree rake.
It is only .003 to.010 wide but can be a problem child.
It is called the pressing land in the carbide world and has to be there when you pop the part out of the die.

Hole/no hole not a problem.
G in that third letter and no problems.
Bob

Yup will fit.
But that M means not ground on the sides.
This means maybe a side that has a bit of a flat area before the 10-11 degree rake.
It is only .003 to.010 wide but can be a problem child.
It is called the pressing land in the carbide world and has to be there when you pop the part out of the die.

Hole/no hole not a problem.
G in that third letter and no problems.
Bob
Do TPU versus TPG have that flat?

You guys still burning up TPG inserts?
Seriously?

UGH! :willy_nilly:

Man I have fought with those POS's for WAY too long before I gave up on them.
I still see a tool surface now and aggin, but it NEVER goes into a machine anymore!

Those inserts are always moving around....

I know they're cheap, but with all the broken tools and junked parts, an upgrade has a pretty quick ROI.

Ugh, I just had a shiver jist thinking about it...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I run a 3 inch TPG-322 milling cutter in the B-port as go to. Made by the big K company long ago.
A 2 and 4 inch of my own design in the super wimpy 30 taper Chiron which does not like tool loads no matter what.
What most encounter is a 0 by 0 rake angle cutter . That does not work well and simply hammers like a madman.
Cheap and super easy to make. Cuts terrible but if you lay the insert back so it works much better you loose the 90 wall. (tradeoffs)
And then there is the insert clamp......some not rigid. Also it is darn triangle so pocking concerns and feed forces, twisting.

Nothing wrong with the base insert, it is the holder it sits in.
Many here are talking molded chipbreaker up top. That might change things going on a bit. (or a lot)

Would this and it's family be the second most common carbide insert made in the world? Why?
It is just a piece of carbide out there trying to do some work.
Bob

Last edited:
30 yrs ago maybe

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Snow,.
What is your oldest sled currently working in the barn? Was it poop or did it work?
Once or more went to something here on on a famous lake together. Throw down or shut up.
I so miss those days.
The days of must having the fastest sled in 300 miles are are now gone.
I am now OLD FART.
Back to maching, the kids know jack shit but will take over and pass us.
Bob

Last edited:
Long time ago I bought a Shars 2" dia TPG facemill for my BP clone.
That taught me about hammering, horrible thing.
Then got an Iscar 3" dia, 7 insert cutter with some angles to it; can't remember details as I sit here about to winterize my boat.
So much sweeter, in every way.
Bob

Back