What's new
What's new

Mazak QT 250 Nexus Mazak Software Issue Alarm 615 "Designated tool Not found" Help

mcbassin

Aluminum
So continuing from my thread HERE I got the computer running and Mazatrol software loaded. The machine homes out spindle runs, I can jog it make programs and view the toolpath. However, I still have a few huge issues.
1. The tool eye will not set the tool length offsets, it beeps but the lengths aren't changed
2. When I try to run program from Memory mode, the "615 Designated Tool not found" pops up
3. The chip conveyor kicks on automatically (I assume this is some user parameter bit)?
4. Right as the 615 alarm pops up there's a window that pops up and closes simultaneously. (Bus console window for windows 95) From there I have to close it to get back to the mazatrol software

I have created a simple program to test the machine. It will not run. I have talked to mazak support and they told me to check the tool data. the general out tool should run this program. They had me send these same pictures and then had me send the version screen. Now they want me to schedule a service call. Has anyone out there had this kind of symptoms after reinitializing the controller and installing parameters? I haven't needed this machine so I have left it idle but I need it now. Help?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9839.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9839.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail_IMG_9840.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9840.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_IMG_9841.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9841.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbnail_IMG_9842.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9842.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_9843.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9843.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 24
-on your position screen tool number is zero? Why?
-Fix the issue with tool eye before you go any further
-I can bet money on the fact that your parameters arent loaded properly or you missing some of them, have you reloaded all your parameters? Options? ( machine parameters, user parameters, options, correct PLC diagram file)
-Chip conveyor is ON when machine goes into AUTO, it starts immediately unless it is in intermediate mode ( on-off-on-off)

-on your position screen tool number is zero? Why?
-Fix the issue with tool eye before you go any further
-I can bet money on the fact that your parameters arent loaded properly or you missing some of them, have you reloaded all your parameters? Options? ( machine parameters, user parameters, options, correct PLC diagram file)
-Chip conveyor is ON when machine goes into AUTO, it starts immediately unless it is in intermediate mode ( on-off-on-off)
The tool is zero because there is an issue with the controller. It is not picking up the tools for whatever reason. I have reinitialized and loaded the parameters in twice with the same outcome. It could be a missing parameter?
I think it has something to do with the "Bus Console" pop up window. I suspect that there is a communication issue or an issue in the software?
I don't know how to test the tool eye? Is there a test procedure to follow? The tool eye is an aftermarket replacement, not the original mazak tool eye.
The chip conveyor is obviously set to come on automatically when in auto / memory mode. I don't know what parameter it is to turn it off?
Lastly, On the parameters, I loaded the complete backup that the seller was using right before he shipped the machine to me.

I personally see only one way out from this nightmare. Find someone around with similar machine, go there and clone this machine HDD with Acronis or whichever software you can find to create a bootable image, after, try to boot your machine from this image and see it there is any difference at all. Although MAZATROL might start complaining about 640 NC control hardware been different, but that we can probably get around somehow.

I personally see only one way out from this nightmare. Find someone around with similar machine, go there and clone this machine HDD with Acronis or whichever software you can find to create a bootable image, after, try to boot your machine from this image and see it there is any difference at all. Although MAZATROL might start complaining about 640 NC control hardware been different, but that we can probably get around somehow.
You think the operating system is corrupt? I can get the latest version of the Win95 service pack from Mazak just for the service call fee. I think I'm going to go that route.

So I've gone around and around with Mazak. This is very frustrating. I have been on the phone with the support technician. He thinks I should update the mazatrol software to the latest version. I have version 0 and the latest is version 8. So I agreed to a service call for Mazak to come in and update the mazatrol software to the latest version. Then I get an email from the scheduling manager, he says they will not reinstall mazatrol, that I have to get mitsubishi to do it. ($1200 + expenses) I'm not opposed to that if it fixes the problem...
I called mitsubishi and explained how the tool data doesn't show up and I cannot tell what position the turret is in? I'm leaning toward this not being software but possibly the turret? or some sort of cable ? encoder?
Isn't there a way to tell in the ladder or diagnostics what position the turret is located?
Is there anyone out there can help me troubleshoot this issue? I feel like Mazak and Mitsubishi both are trying to get me to upgrade to the win2k version controller. ($8000+).. This machine is so close to running and I don't like pissing away money just changing parts....
Help?

It looks as though the MRJ2 drive that runs the turret has lost its home position. Because the turret home is lost, the NC does not know which tool is in position and the tool eye measure procedure does not know where to put tool data.
If you open the MRJ2 software in windows, you can look at the test operation screen and see home status in the lower right corner of the screen. If it says illegality, home will have to be reset.

It looks as though the MRJ2 drive that runs the turret has lost its home position. Because the turret home is lost, the NC does not know which tool is in position and the tool eye measure procedure does not know where to put tool data.
If you open the MRJ2 software in windows, you can look at the test operation screen and see home status in the lower right corner of the screen. If it says illegality, home will have to be reset.
I have been in the MRJ2 program and the home position is like 359.940 degrees, it doesn't state "illegality"

If you have your manuals, there is a procedure for setting the turret home position.
I set the turret home position today. For some reason the mazatrol software doesn’t update the location of the turret. When I go into the too data page it never switches tools when I rotate the turret.

That is the problem you have: MR-J2 rotates turret to a specified station number and after PLC clamps curved coupling. Once the proxy is made, PLC reports MAZATROL ( NC) that tool change T-code is completed. It should send data into NC-PLC exchange registers ( whatever MR-J2 uses on your particular control) to indicate T- function complete signal.

It is not that simple as it looks like , cause Mitsubishi has these weird DDB and PLC interfaces and they are part of it.

Can you do tool change in MDI? It goes like that: go to VERSION and open PLC SIGNAL page. Here you can see TF bit. It should have status "zero"

Stay on this page, select MDI and command tool change T0202 ( or whatever command you use to call specific tool) . Turret will start rotation to bring tool number 2 and at the same time you will see TF bit changing its status to "ONE".
Mitsubishi calls TF as a "tool function strobe"

If that is what you see, than PLC and NC (Mazatrol) talk to each other and T-code was successfully passed from NC to PLC as T0202 and after tool change completion, PLC reported back as TFIN bit. Although TFIN might be too short to be visually detected, see attached PDF.

P.S. that is how I understand it. Details can be wrong but you have the general idea.

P.S.S turret is controlled by PLC. NC should send T code with tool number into R-registers where MR-J2 constantly strobing data. Once MR-J2 receives station number and command to rotate rotary axis it does it. Upon arrival MR-J2 should report into R-registers for PLC to understand the situation and if tool change was completed. After all this mess, PLC starts to talk to NC indicating T-FIN signal by means of DDB or PLC interface. The problem here is this, it is hard to visualise all signals as it takes milliseconds and bunch of short pulses for PLC and NC to talk.

Attachments

• PLC INTERFACE MANUAL.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That is the problem you have: MR-J2 rotates turret to a specified station number and after PLC clamps curved coupling. Once the proxy is made, PLC reports MAZATROL ( NC) that tool change T-code is completed. It should send data into NC-PLC exchange registers ( whatever MR-J2 uses on your particular control) to indicate T- function complete signal.

It is not that simple as it looks like , cause Mitsubishi has these weird DDB and PLC interfaces and they are part of it.

Can you do tool change in MDI? It goes like that: go to VERSION and open PLC SIGNAL page. Here you can see TF bit. It should have status "zero"

Stay on this page, select MDI and command tool change T0202 ( or whatever command you use to call specific tool) . Turret will start rotation to bring tool number 2 and at the same time you will see TF bit changing its status to "ONE".
Mitsubishi calls TF as a "tool function strobe"

If that is what you see, than PLC and NC (Mazatrol) talk to each other and T-code was successfully passed from NC to PLC as T0202 and after tool change completion, PLC reported back as TFIN bit. Although TFIN might be too short to be visually detected, see attached PDF.

P.S. that is how I understand it. Details can be wrong but you have the general idea.

P.S.S turret is controlled by PLC. NC should send T code with tool number into R-registers where MR-J2 constantly strobing data. Once MR-J2 receives station number and command to rotate rotary axis it does it. Upon arrival MR-J2 should report into R-registers for PLC to understand the situation and if tool change was completed. After all this mess, PLC starts to talk to NC indicating T-FIN signal by means of DDB or PLC interface. The problem here is this, it is hard to visualise all signals as it takes milliseconds and bunch of short pulses for PLC and NC to talk.
First off, I cannot do a tool change in MDI mode. I get "442 Data Renewal Not Allowed" alarm.
Secondly, The machine will not update the turret tool position anywhere. I assume PLC is not doing the hand off. I do not get any errors. Is there a sensor that tells the PLC the location of the turret?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9938.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9938.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_9941.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9941.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_9942.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9942.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 9
It is not really a sensor that tell what tool number is at any given moment in time, it is more like R- registers and they contain the number of the station MR-J2 needs to go to. See this pdf attached. it is called control command 3. You have to find inside your particular PLC diagram these 4 registers and read all numbers if you want to understand what NC and PLC command MR-J2. This is getting way too complicated to troubleshoot unless you go deep inside into debugging Mitsubishi 600 control. Also all MAZAKs PLC ladders are insanely huge and very hard to read.

P.S. this "442 Data Renewal Not Allowed" is alarming, that is NC alarm, not PLC.

P.S.S> it looks like you have correct Main-A and Main-B software, although I am not sure about PLC

365W004-B4369W005-B4M640T NEXUS (WIN95)

Attachments

• MR-J2 communication registers in 700 Mitsubishi.pdf
    395.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It is not really a sensor that tell what tool number is at any given moment in time, it is more like R- registers and they contain the number of the station MR-J2 needs to go to. See this pdf attached. it is called control command 3. You have to find inside your particular PLC diagram these 4 registers and read all numbers if you want to understand what NC and PLC command MR-J2. This is getting way too complicated to troubleshoot unless you go deep inside into debugging Mitsubishi 600 control. Also all MAZAKs PLC ladders are insanely huge and very hard to read.

P.S. this "442 Data Renewal Not Allowed" is alarming, that is NC alarm, not PLC.

P.S.S> it looks like you have correct Main-A and Main-B software, although I am not sure about PLC

365W004-B4369W005-B4M640T NEXUS (WIN95)
I appreciate you taking time to try to help me noname. This is frustrating to me. I know the machine was running production before shipping it to my shop. It's strange that it seem so close but I cannot get past this turret register thing. Maybe the ladder somehow got corrupted? I just don't know..
I'm still working with Mazak but this is stumping their best Tech support guy too.
thanks again

I feel like the only way to move forward is to ask MAZAK service tech to come to your place and bring so called service HDD with your type machine image and try to boot NC control and reload your parameters. Just to prove the point that all hardware is operational.

Back