What's new
What's new

Mazak Quick Turn 18N From NASA Re-Initialization Parity Error

TexasMachine

Aluminum
Mazak Pickup From NASA resize.png20221210_010503.png

I purchased a Mazak Quick Turn 18N From NASA and I keep running into a Parity Error when trying to initialize the machine. Im Following Re-initialization procedures from this Mazak Service Bulletin 0689-004.

I do not understand information about backing things up because If I could back things up I would not need to re-initialize parameters etc. I am just trying to get alarms off and machine to move at this point. I do have a printout that came with the machine with original parameters but this is my first experience with a Mazak and it seems a bit different from the Fanucs.
MEMORY CLEAR & RE-INITIALIZING T32-2 AND T32-3 CONTROLS-1.jpgMEMORY CLEAR & RE-INITIALIZING T32-2 AND T32-3 CONTROLS-2.jpgMEMORY CLEAR & RE-INITIALIZING T32-2 AND T32-3 CONTROLS-3.jpgMEMORY CLEAR & RE-INITIALIZING T32-2 AND T32-3 CONTROLS-4.jpgMEMORY CLEAR & RE-INITIALIZING T32-2 AND T32-3 CONTROLS-5.jpg
I start at step #1 on page 3 and follow the steps precisely.
When I complete step #10 letter D my screen looks like this.
20230130_183614.png
I continue to step #11 and get lost at this step, where I think there should be an All Erase before entering the -9999 as stated.
Untitled.png
So I press All Erase, -9999, input and continue until I get to step #12 letter C.
When I press Input at step #12 letter C I get this.
20230130_184059.png

At this point I can do nothing at the controls so I restart the machine and it sticks at this screen.
20230130_184211.png
So I flip dipswitch #2 in the lower left hand side of cabinet to clear the parity error and restart the machine while dipswitch is flipped, then turn it back off and flip dipswitch back and restart and I still end up at this screen unless I restart the re-initialization procedure.

I would just like to get past this hurdle in order to move on to the next obstacle but I am at a loss and cannot find a copy of the manual for this machine or similar QT-15n. All I currently have to work with is the hard copy of parameters and a folder full of hit and miss pdfs that I have compiled from the internet so any nudge, help, guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. I repair, run and setup more recent model machines (2010-2020) all day, every day but these older machines seem to stun me into submission when I try to understand some of their ins and outs and I feel like I am either not following instructions exactly or I am not aware of things these older instructions assumed I should understand.

Thank you for any help.

Have you tried calling MAZAK? They can be helpful, or send a tech. I know it is hard. lol

The QT18N is a sweet machine, it has the 2-3/4" spindle bore (versus the QT15N's 2" bore). Bigger spindle bore means bigger spindle bearings, bigger draw cylinder, bigger chuck...makes for a nice machine all around.
The QT15's are legendary to start with!
Open up your electrical cabinet and make sure all the NC boards and all connectors are seating properly.
Make sure you are feeding the machine the correct voltage by double-checking the onboard multi-tap transformer.
If you can't get the control to initialize, you can send it to Mitsubishi in Chicago (MEAU), and they can evaluate and repair it. (They build all the electronics on Mazaks).
ToolCat

Im really thinking that I am just doing something incorrectly in the process as this is the first Mazak that I have ever had a chance to work with. I really just need someone to let me know if im looking at that bulletin and executing it correctly or if I need to be doing extra or missing steps etc. I cannot really be sure that I have a problem until I eliminate myself from the list of potential problems. Thanks for all the responses.

Just curious, any chance it has to do with moving it? Export controls and all that?
No. We had to go through a bunch of clearances, background and citizen checks. They made sure they knew where it was going and what it was doing. It has just been sitting since 2019 until this January. Im thinking it just needs a little pat on the head and a slap on the ass. Im just trying to make sure that I am interpreting this bulletin correctly and not slapping it in the head and patting it on the ass. Thank You.

Is there anyone that knows if "Erase All" is missing right here in step #11? In every other step it is needed in order to be able to enter -9999 so in step #11 this bulletin is just telling me to press the buttons-9999 without anything being entered on screen.?..?20230201_094147.png

No. We had to go through a bunch of clearances, background and citizen checks. They made sure they knew where it was going and what it was doing. It has just been sitting since 2019 until this January. Im thinking it just needs a little pat on the head and a slap on the ass. Im just trying to make sure that I am interpreting this bulletin correctly and not slapping it in the head and patting it on the ass. Thank You.
Agreed, a common trick is to start pulling and reseating all cards, cables, etc.

Back